Friday, January 12, 2024

snow days finish

I have a finish. I call this the heart attack quilt. When my hubby was planning to have knee replacement surgery, I prepped all the stitched panels and had the supplies ready to sit through his recovery with this quilt in mind. Day two in the orthopedic hospital, he had a heart attack, and, was sent to a different hospital for stents and a longer recovery. Everything was fine, but, I did a lot of stitching. And, I was grateful for the distraction.

78 x 78 =20 yards

The quilt is a crabapple quilt pattern. There were 15 stitched panels and after the top is assembled there are additional stitching over the regular seams. I had seen the actual quilt, at a quilt show, at a vendor booth, and, bought the pattern. I ordered the floss on line in the colorway suggested by the pattern. It is hard to see the stitching in the pictures but it is lovely in person. I used scraps and stash for the pieced squares. 


I used transfer eze printed on the printer for stitching lines





I am linking to:

13 comments:

  1. Awesome close up pictures of your stitching. I can see that in person it must be really gorgeous. Even though the reason for all your stitching time was not good, it produced a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a gorgeous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is very pretty! Your embroidery looks very nice. I've seen this quilt made before but the embroidery was done by machine. Hand embroidery has a softer, more appealing look to it. Today is a good day to snuggle under the new quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is gorgeous, I love the sweet embroidered scenes, and the soft colors of the blocks. Working on this quilt was indeed a welcoming distraction.
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - I am so glad you showed a closeup of your beautiful stitching! What an heirloom :-) Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty finish. I'm with Gretchen regarding the hand embroidery. Enjoy snuggling under your new quilt!!!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you added close of photos of your lovely embroidery work - love the so much!!!
    Congratulations on a fantastic finish. You should feel proud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful quilt. So glad your husband is okay - that had to be scary - and create a flurry of quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous quilt finish, Maggie! Here's hoping your hubby is fully recovered from his surgeries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That embroidery is so lovely! Great project for sitting in the hospital. Sorry about your husband, but so glad he got the help he needed and is well now. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/01/17/wednesday-wait-loss-363

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful quilt! I love the soft blue and tan color scheme. The hand embroidered work adds a lovely touch too.

    Thanks for sharing the story of how the quilt provided distraction while your husband was recovering from his heart attack. I'm so glad to hear that everything was fine in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! That stitching must have taken a while.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful finish! Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete