Friday, August 30, 2024

cathedral stars finish

My cathedral stars quilt is finished. This was my one monthly goal for August.

I made most of the blocks in 2016 . It popped up on the 5 quilt project in May 2024  and it was a top in June 2024. I found this as a free pattern at quiltville. When I opened the box after all these years, I didn't like the colors I had used to make the blocks. But, It made a striking quilt.

85 x 85 = 25 yards


I am never sure about the thread color on a dark scrappy quilt. I used a light gray that I thought would blend with the white and not be so stark on the border. I like how it turned out. The border is not boring and the piecing stands out instead of the quilting in the center. I did my usual free form loops and circles and used a turquoise backing.


I am linking to:

TGIFF

13 comments:

  1. I think Cathedral Stars is beautiful! This pattern is on my list of someday quilt. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beautiful finish! You've done so well with your 5 quilt strategy this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great finish! This is one of my favorite Quiltville patterns. Interesting, though, that the one I made, and the one our guild made (raffle quilt), and most others are pretty much in Bonnie's colors. I should do a search to see if there are other colorways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Cathedral stars was the first BH pattern that I had printed off years ago and I still haven't made it. Ugh! Your bright fabrics are especially beautiful in this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s stunning for sure! Saturated colors with white contrast, you can’t go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is a finish worth celebrating. Such an upbeat quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right; it is very striking. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a beautiful quilt! I love the jewel tones. Congratulations on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on a fantastic UFO finish, Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a beautiful finish, Maggie!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Maggie! Great job and congrats on finishing your beautiful Cathedral Stars quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did an awesome job on that quilting! Great thread color for this. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/09/04/wednesday-wait-loss-396

    ReplyDelete