Friday, August 23, 2024

churn dash finish

Churn dash quilt is actually a combination of 2 older ufos-  6 inch churn dash blocks and 3 1/2 inch churndash blocks. I had started making scrappy churndash blocks as leader/ enders and began to make them in earnest in 2017. I made a big batch of 6 inch scrappy blocks with a quilt in mind and then discovered the adorable 3 1/2 inch blocks much later. They were so cute and I made them just for fun. Both sets of blocks were eventually added to the ufo closet. When churn dash appeared on the list as Part of 5 quilt project, I decided to figure out a quilt for both in one quilt.  The top was done in april of 2024. I have been a fan of churn dash blocks as a great old classic block.

The Churn Dash is a very old 9-Patch quilt block pattern, originating between 1800 and 1849. Its name is a result of the resemblance of the triangle and rectangle perimeter of the block to a butter churn and the center square to the stick (or “dash”) of the butter churn.

With only a few elements--triangles, rectangles, and squares-- the Churn Dash was  frequently one of the first patterns learned by young girls. In spite of its simplicity, it also provides a challenge for advanced quilters because it lends itself well to very intricate designs.

I have 2 or 3 other churn dash quilts still in ufo status. One made from shirts, one made from florals, and one just scrappy.

76 x 76 = 14 yards



I am linking to:

TGIFF

TGIFF different   

please consider signing up to host the weekly party here 

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I love the mix of sizes in this quilt. And scrappy quilts are my favorite. Beautiful! And well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was always my Granny Idas favorite and also became mine! I have made many churn dash quilts. Wish I had photos of them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun, scrappy quilt! You did really well at finding a layout that used both sets of blocks. Congrats on another finish for 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome churn dash! There is so much to look at here, especially with the two sizes of blocks and all the wonderful scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to mix the difference sizes together. This quilt makes scrap look great. Love the loopy quilting. It gives movement to the straight churn dash blocks. Bravo! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this one - that is my favorite block - and you set it just wonderfully!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quilt! I'm a churn dash fan myself. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful way to use up those Churn Dash blocks you made. Great finish! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/08/27/wednesday-wait-loss-395

    ReplyDelete