Wednesday, August 2, 2017

snow days in august

crabapple hill snow days

I started stitching this quilt when my husband had a double knee replacement in 2014. I had it prepped and ready to go for the hospital, knowing I would have a lot of waiting time. I knew when he came home, we were going to take it easy for a few weeks, mostly hanging out with some old movies. perfect project.

Unfortunately, one of the complications during his stay at the hospital was a heart attack and a stay  in intensive care. I would have gone crazy without this project. So I am calling it the heart attack quilt or the you scared me to death quilt. He is fine now, but I wasn't as eager to revisit this project for a while. I am a little confused by the actual piecing instructions, so I will be taking that part slowly. I have some fabrics chosen, but think I will want more.



All the blocks are stitched, but after it is pieced, there is additional stitching to be done to finish off some of the scenes. So my one monthly goal for August and ufo #8 is to get the piecing done. More would be a bonus, but with the piecing done, I can finish the stitching as I can. It has been long enough now, that I am super excited to spend some time on this again.


WOW
Midweek Makers
Jo's Country Junction UFO
Bee Social
Silly Mama WIP

WIPs with friends


8 comments:

  1. Hi Maggie,
    I can certainly understand your reluctance to continue on this project! I love the fabrics for it, and that stitching will look fabulous. Like you said, if you get the piecing under your belt the rest will be fun handiwork for de-stressing times. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an absolutely gorgeous design! I adore the fabrics that you've chosen. I look forward to seeing more of this quilt as it comes together. Happy sewing! --Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie, this is such a nice BOM, I'm glad you got it back out and want to work on it again. I know *exactly* how you feel! I did the same thing with a particular quilt when Scott had a little stroke. Sat in his hospital room and made floral heart yo-yo's for a quilt I'd designed for our daughter, then stitched them on upside down and stuffed them for little puffy hearts around a border. Once Scott was home and back to himself, that project was a downer for a good couple of years. But when I was ready to pull it out, its poignancy made it special and happy to work on again. Companionship like that turns a quilt into a friend of sorts. It's now my favorite extra stacker on the coldest nights. (6 years later, daughter's decor is different colors, and she's given it back to me "on loan" - hehe!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your project beginnings...

    thanks for linking up!

    brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Understandable why you sidelined this project for a bit. It's going to be a gorgeous quilt. I really like the fabrics you've got selected so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely pattern, Happy sewing and stitching. I look forward to seeing your progress on this linky. Thanks for joining Sew, Stitch, Snap, Share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so understand your hesitation on revisiting this quilt. Years ago, when I was undergoing radiation treatment, I knitted a sweater for hubby. When both things were done, I couldn't bear to look at that sweater, and we donated it to Goodwill. Funny how we associate items with events in our lives. Thanks again for sharing this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stitched this quilt a couple of years ago... the piecing is not as difficult as it sounds.... just take it section by section and it will all fall together nicely! :-)

    ReplyDelete