Monday, August 14, 2017

Old tobacco road quilt


I have decided to finish this old Ufo a little bit each day. Old Tobacco Road was the third mystery quilt from Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville and is still a free pattern on her website. I had the top together and the border pieces made. I just tend to stop at borders... for years. The first order of business was to trim the sides.


 Then I measured and measured for the inner border. In the case of a pieced border, it takes a bit of math to figure the width of the inner border to bring the top size up to the measurement of the pieced border. Mine was an odd size, of course.

And then I was ready for the flying geese border. I added the recommended outer border. So far, so good. I put it on our bed, to measure for the backing, and wait, it is just short of fitting on our bed. I wish I had thought of that before I had added the last border, I could have adjusted it.


If it had not been so close, I would have finished it and been done, calling it a lap quilt. But it is just 4 or 5 inches not wide enough. A little more effort and it could be more useful. sigh.....

I thought of another pieced border, I really didn't want to do that. But, I would, but, I don't want to do that.
Then I looked for fabric for a plain border. With some digging, I found one that I thought I would like. The length of the quilt was already 104 inches, so I had to convince myself that I would be okay with more of the border on the sides and less on the top and bottom. I also didn't like the width of the plain border, if I added another one, so I cut it down while it was on the quilt - kinda crazy.


I made the back and binding and had it on the frame Saturday.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will all quilt out and be a lovely addition to the done pile. This is definitely a project of the quilt versus my impatience. I want to like the quilt when I am done, but, really want to just get them done, but that isn't the fun of creating something lovely, and that is the real reason I like to quilt. Not to check it off the list.

I am linking to:
Making Monday
main Crush Monday



8 comments:

  1. Congratulations for pulling out a UFO and following through. It is always wonderful to finish one. Hopefully you will love it when it is done. I don't tend to do all of Bonnie's mysteries because I just don't need more ufos and I really don't need big quilts. But I enjoy the project through those who are working on it. Do you do each mystery?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with you - we want to like our quilts when they're finished. Your flying geese border is so pretty - and took patience! Your quilt will be lovely, I'm sure! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, boy, can I relate to the stop-for-years-at-the-border tendency!! I just finished a quilt top like that, in fact. :) Your Old Tobacco Road is a really nice scrappy top - love how all the colors have come together, and that outer border is pretty on it. Is that navy alphabet fabric the backing? Love it with the ensemble!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your participation this week at the Show and Tell Monday !! Bambi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this quilt a few years ago. I love the pattern. Your quilt looks great. You will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks really nice. I love the Flying Geese border as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it will be wonderful! All that scrappy goodness is perfect

    ReplyDelete