Tuesday, August 22, 2017

vintage quilt

I found this recently at a flea market. I love the simple nature of this quilt. It is hand pieced but someone has taken it and quilted it by longarm. They used a polyester batting and an old sheet for the backing. I wish they has used a better batting. But, since the hard decision has been made ( whether to finish an old top or not), I will bind it and it will get to be used as it was intended.


 The fabrics are fun, and I think I recognize some of them from my mother in laws scrappy quilts. Actually, if it had been machine pieced, I would have wondered if one of her tops had escaped into the wild. I know she had the green floral.

and the orange foods




And my hubby had a shirt made from the gear looking fabric as a youth.


I wish she and I had had years of quilt making together. I introduced her to quilting in the 70s before children. Then I had children and she made quilts. Now, I have time and she is gone. She left way too early.

I am linking to:
Free Motion by the River
to do tuesday
too cute tuesday

6 comments:

  1. Love it! I just love looking at vintage fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maggie,
    What a fabulous find!! Love these fabrics, and I am so glad it found its way to a good home to be used and loved. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pleased to hear you rescued just a project, and will put it to use as intended.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice that you can rescue and finish this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty quilt! I love how it has fabrics that have meaning to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love finishing other peoples' work for them like this. There's something so deeply satisfying about it. And it sounds like it was a real treat finding fabrics you guys recognized in it. :)

    ReplyDelete