Sunday, March 14, 2021

stash report March 14, 2021

I haven't added any new fabric this week. I have been reminding myself, successfully, that I have scraps in a scrap bucket that need to be tended. And, if I cut them, there has to be room to put them.


Stash report  March 14, 2021

Fabric Used this week: 0 yards - no finishes

Fabric Used year to Date: 46 1/2 yards

Fabric Added this week: 0 yards  
Fabric Added Year to Date: 50 1/2 yards

net fabric: 4 yards bought more than used 

I stitched at least 15 minutes every day this week.  

I had some questions about rug hooking. SO, I thought I would share a bit.

My favorite tools that I use all the time. are slanted scissors, a bent hook primitive( larger) and wool, and linen. With Mr Scarecrow, I do not have a previous finished picture to go by with colors or shading. It was a new pattern to the designer, and, I liked it well enough to buy it.
The pattern is just the basic shapes. I am working on a tall pumpkin with only the outside drawn in. I wanted to add a few light shaping rows.
Rug hooking is very forgiving. If I don't like what I do, I can quickly pull it out and do something else.
It is not like quilting and a seam ripper.

black lines are the pattern

For this project, I am using an 8 cut of wool, which is 1/4 inch. Wool cuts so nicely, and, I have a cutter with several sizes. I will hold the wool strip in my left hand over my index finger. And that hand will go under the piece on the frame. I can't see it, so, I go by feel.


With my right hand, I will use the  hook to go through a hole in the linen, touch my finger to find the wool, and pull a loop of wool to the top. The loop should be as high as the wool is wide. But, I like mine shorter. 

9 comments:

  1. I have a box of scraps like that too! Decided on a system to use them, but too many other projects going to work on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photos which makes rug hooking a little more clear to me. What would keep someone (like my grandchildren) from grabbing one loop and pulling the whole row out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another excellent week on the quilt metrics. I did a couple of rug hooking kits when I was in high school, but they had little short pieces of yarn that were pulled through the mess. I didn't realize that your rugs were done differently. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never tried rug hooking. I have a friend who is a committed “hooker”. Her projects are lovely. Thanks for the demo on how it is done. Have a wonderful time adding more loops to your project today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the mini tutorial on rug hooking. Looks like fun and I love the colors in the autumn piece you are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh thank you for the rug hooking lesson, it's sounds fun! I guess the difficult part is to pull out the same amount of wool each time.
    Thanks for linking up today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed seeing your rug hooking photos! I wish I knew how to do this as it's so lovely. But I really cannot fall in love with another stitching passion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    I've never done rug hooking, I'm mostly a
    quilter and crocheter. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete