Tuesday, July 11, 2017

mill girls and Greentown glass

I have the center medallion finished on mill girls quilt

The 4 patch border is a little big, and I am not sure how to fix that. Maybe it will work itself out if I add the next borders.

Hubby's Aunt has downsized and had an auction last weekend. I wasn't able to go. After living in this area all my life, I have always wanted a piece of green town glass.  My husband purchased these pieces for me. I am very excited. Greentown glass was made from 1894 to 1903 when the factory was destroyed by fire.
Probably the most recognizable pieces are the chocolate pieces created by the chemist Jacob Rosenthal.





The yellow is vaseline glass and some of her silver - she loved to entertain with fancy stuff. It was such a surprise when I came home and had these waiting for me.

I am linking to:
Fiber Tuesday -
Free Motion by the River
to do tuesday
too cute tuesday

5 comments:

  1. The Mills Girls quilt is coming along beautifully. I think the next borders will help bring the 4 patch borders back into scale. How fun on the glass and silverware. Your Guy is definitely a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maggie,
    What treasurers your husband got for you!!! I love the green cut glass - well, heck, all of it!! {{Hugs}} How exciting!! I love your center medallion, too. The four-patch surrounding it looks perfect to me - it really pulls it all together. Hmm, if it is too big all around or even on one side be sure you measure your next borders and make them all the same size. Then when you sew it on, pin on each end and in the center of the border you are adding. You can then spread the easing across the whole length of the piece instead of getting to the end and having an inch too big or however much it is. I hope that makes sense! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mill Girl's quilt looks lovely, love the colours. Pity about that 4 patch border. I'm not an experienced quilter so have no solutions! All the best with the next step.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great treasures! How exciting that he was able to acquire some pieces for you. Thank you so much for linking up with To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, your husband is a keeper! How sweet of him to buy some special pieces for you. They are all lovely. I've never heard of vaseline glass. I love the Mill Girl medallion. I think you will be able to ease in the 4-patches when attaching your next border.

    ReplyDelete