Wednesday, July 12, 2017

star gazing


I started working on star gazing a Bonnie Hunter pattern from Scraps and shirttails book

Miles and miles of 1 1/2 inch strips. Green and black sewn together... miles and miles

The sashings are pieced by subcutting the strip sets into 4 1/2 inch units and then sewing two units together in opposite fashion. Some of the strips are cut for four patch cornerstones.


The vertical sashing between the blocks is mirror image of the sashing between the rows.


I have had the blocks done for several years. The red is a Debbie Mum fabric from the 90s.  And I used a lot of shirts. I just wasn't sure I wanted to do the sashings that are part of the pattern. They seemed fiddley to me. So I didn't finish. But other than the miles and miles of sewing strips together, I like making them. I am using this project for as long as I can for my away sewing.

We have had our first tomatoes from the garden, and several cucumbers and squash. The creatures have eaten most of the sweet potato plants. We have had a great deal of rain lately, including a severe storm. Fortunately for us, it was a bit north of us.

I am linking to:
WOW
Midweek Makers
Jo's Country Junction UFO
Bee Social
Silly Mama WIP

WIPs with friends



7 comments:

  1. That looks like a great take-along project. I am using my Featherweight for my quilt group sewing days. And my current project is the fence rail star.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks interesting - be sure to continue to share progress on Midweek Makers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like your star gazing. Bonnie always designs such cute patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the scrappyness if this! Also fun to see your vintage singer and thanks for linking up! There is a new button if you want to grab it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you decided to pull this one out and sew miles and miles of strips together. It's going to look fantastic when you're done! --Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Maggie. I really like several of Bonnie Hunter's designs. Love the use of scraps, and I've done a couple of her winter Mystery tops (still waiting to be quilted, both of them!) I like your sashing color choices for this project. Lots of work! It's going to be neat when it's all together. THanks for sharing at BOMs Away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very fun, scrappy quilt. The sashing does look a bit fiddly, but sometimes those make the best quilts.

    ReplyDelete