Monday, July 17, 2017

A Crumby quilt

I lost all my linkys from the sidebar, and I am slowly trying to find them again. If you have any great ones let me know. I think it has to do with trying to clean up that photobucket thing. How do you make a button? I would love to know.

I finished this crumb quilt over the weekend. The top was done, I just needed to load it on the longarm, quilt and bind it.


I had a little fun with it. I included a spiderweb and snap, crackle, and pop words in the quilting. I used an old hunk of fun fabric for the backing. I love using perfectly good stuff from my stash that I might not ever use on the front. And apples on cereal could be yummy.




I can't find anywhere that I blogged about this. I started by string piecing 3 x 8 1/2 inch rectangles -112 of them. I cut matching gray rectangles from my scraps of gray. It was meant to be a scrappy quilt that used up little bits of scraps.

Bonnie Hunter of quiltville has said that we should always have a string project going in addition to our other projects. I agree. There is something satisfying about using the leftovers bits that would have been added to a dump somewhere. I like that it is mindless sewing, and it doesn't cost anything. And some of the fabric pieces have memories and make smiles.


Still, my favorite string/ crumb quilt is this one I finished in 2016.



I am linking to:
Making Monday
main Crush Monday

13 comments:

  1. I love string and crumb quilts - your's are wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strings make my heart sing. Love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your crumb quilt, colorful and great use of the little tidbits we always have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a fun finish with your crumb quilt. Love the Kellogg's fabric! --Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maggie,
    I love both quilts. I have to start a string quilt myself - I just threw a few scraps away yesterday that s/b saved. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your gray strings are super! I'm going to save that idea . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful crumb quilt! I love it! Congrats on getting it done!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilt makes me think of confetti. Very fun and a great way to use up those little bits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep telling myself I'm going to start a scrap project but I haven't done it yet. I love that it's called a crumb quilt - too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is some mighty impressive scraps! It is very satisfying making something from left over bits, and people put stewed apple on their cereal don't they??

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great crumbs quilt! Perfect backing for it, too. You are inspiring me to get my scraps ready to facilitate a similar project, so thanks for linking it at BOMs Away. I'm curious - do you use a paper backing as you work on the blocks, or just sew the fabrics together in what appears to let you cut the right size out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a phone book paper sheet for the foundation for this quilt

      Delete
  12. I agree string and crumb quilt are tons of fun! So many memories. Your's look great!

    ReplyDelete