Wednesday, June 28, 2017

A new template

I have been working on the borders for Bargain basement ( Bonnie Hunter scraps and shirttails). I was so excited to open a template package and actually use it. And it is nifty.





cutting was a breeze with the creative grids ruler, but sewing took a bit to figure how to hold my mouth to get the points right. I started thinking I would sew in pairs first. Luckily, I didn't get them all done, before I tried putting them together. It is much better to add one at a time so that I could line them up with the triangle on the bottom. I could match three of the sides before stitching the seam.


Linda had an appraisal done for the Indiana quilt and her happy birds quilt. The Indiana quilt appraised at $1550.00 and..


happy birds at $1950.00

These results were surprising to all of us. Mostly, this is a reflection of replacement costs. Sometimes as quilters, we devalue what we do - It's just a hobby, something I slapped together. That couldn't be further from the truth. Every stitch is an expression of parts of us that no one ever sees. Our work on each quilt is a lesson in progress not perfection. I know I grow better with every attempt I make, not just in skill level, but in my heart and soul. As I read quilter's blogs, I can see how they are changing and growing with every quilt they make. I love to see that.
I am worried that the next generation doesn't realize the soul satisfaction of creating something beautiful ( or not) from inside of themselves. I know many who make it seem that it is not worthwhile to take the time to make it yourself, not with walmart on every corner. They are wrong.


Picture from Bonnie hunter at quiltville.
I am linking to:
WOW
Midweek Makers
Jo's Country Junction UFO
Bee Social
Silly Mama WIP



WIPs with friends

4 comments:

  1. love your new ruler...I have the same one...love seeing the cool blocks that can be made!
    thanks for linking up!

    brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen that ruler before--interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you're enjoying the new tool - thanks for sharing today on Midweek Makers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maggie,
    That is a very cool ruler. I've never seen it before - you can cut several at one time. I'll have to investigate that! Thanks for sharing. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete