Saturday, June 3, 2017

yellow maple leaves

Just in time for the month of yellow and Rainbow scrap challenge in June. I love Irises.

I have 2 blocks ready for the maple leaves quilt.
Otherwise I have been cleaning up the cutting table which involves making a bigger mess.  I had expanded my actual cutting space from 4 square inches to maybe 18 square inches ( I have a BIG cutting table but I end up with just a tiny actual cutting space) And what happens when I see so much open space? I start to cut down scraps and WHAM that space is GONE. I found a parts bucket of odd shirt pieces.
Many yokes and short sleeves, cuffs, collars. I like to cut them  into scrap savers pieces and put the bigger pieces away uncut for any future project.
I have wanted to make Bargain basement from Bonnie Hunter's  Scraps and shirttails book. There are only a couple of quilts in the book I haven't made.
So I am cutting the shirt pieces to work in that quilt. The smallest unit is a two patch using 2 inch squares. I have them all done sewing them as I was working on other projects as a leader/ender. I will need 3 1/2 inch strips, which I can get from the yokes.



The bucket is getting emptier and the table fuller.
I am linking to:
Finished or Not Fridays   
Whoop Whoop


I am linking to
 SewCan She
rsc17 super saturday

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful irises. Mine are in bud but not nearly ready to open. The maple leaf blocks are so pretty in yellow. I'd say you've made a good dent into taming those scraps into something useful - now all you need is a box to coral that project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get excited talking about scraps! Love your leaf blocks and all the shirt pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maggie,
    I love irises too! You may just inspire me to finish up my maple leaf quilt. It has moved twice so that means it was started before 2003. Geez - I hope I still have all the pieces . . . HAHA ~smile~
    Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that book -- then then again, I love all Bonnie Hunter patterns. Have fun working on your Bargain Basement quilt. It will be gorgeous with all those shirtings. It's on my to-do list for someday... I'll watch yours grow for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving the yellow maple leaf blocks. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The yellows in your maple leaves are pretty and mellow! So interesting to see how you are working on those shirts, too. I have been amazed at the great quilts I see made out of fabric from shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful yellow leaves. I have the same cutting problem. Once I get my cutting space halfway clean, I start cutting again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your maple leaf blocks! It's always nice to get some cutting done. It's one of my favourite parts of quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your yellow maple leaves are just the ticket for RSC June.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely little maple leaf blocks, and I really like the idea of recycling those shirts, love scrappy and love reusing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Empty buckets are great! Good luck finding enough cutting space to take care of all those parts and pieces. Shirt quilts are always so soft and cuddly -- well worth the extra effort.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have that Bonnie book, but have yet to make a single quilt from it. :o((

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do the same thing when I see a little space. Looks like you are moving right along with those shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love maple leaf blocks. Your yellows look great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can totally relate to only having a small space free in which to cut even though the table is plenty big enough! Have fun with all your shirt scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty maple leaf blocks. You've made a lot of progress with your shirt scraps.

    ReplyDelete