Friday, June 30, 2017

bargain basement and kittens


Bargain basement center is finished and much smaller than I expected -time for borders. I'd like to use shirts for the inner border, but I am not sure I have enough of any one shirt to do that. I may have to go scrappy.



The sherbet quilt has a back and binding all ready to go for quilting.



 In this box is 1,580  2 1/2 inch half square triangles for box kite. It sure doesn't look like a whole quilt - quilt seeds.
I had a stack of scraps that I thought would best be cut into 2 1/2 in strips, so I just used the accuquilt triangle die instead. There are 6 triangles on the die, so one pass was enough matching for one block - easy counting.




A Tale of Cats: apparently a stray cat had a liter of kittens in our barn. She hid them very well, eventually she moved them to the garage. They were more independent by the time we saw them. They were very skiddish. We just couldn't get close. Within a week of seeing them and counting them and formulating a plan, we found the mother dead on the road. Oh my, we don't want cats, I am allergic to cats, we couldn't just let them die. It took 2 weeks of bringing milk to them to get them this far. But if we moved or made a noise, they were gone like smoke. My husband is a softie. He started buying them canned food, and they ate that.


There are 5 cute adorable kitties, but I can't have a cat as much as I would like, and certainly not 5. We made a date and cleaned a cage. We put milk inside and some days we would have 1 or 2 in the cage. When we had four, we closed it and took them to the animal shelter. It was a hard thing to do. And we still have the most skiddish cat left in the garage, and we haven't even gotten close. She won't come out when we are in there with the food.

I don't know if feral cats can be trained, or if any one would want one, but I am hoping they have a chance for a nice home and lots of love.


I am linking to:
needle and thread thursdays
oh scrap
I may have a scrap problem 

I am linking to:
Finished or Not Fridays   
Whoop Whoop

12 comments:

  1. A feral cat can be domesticated, esp. when it is a young one like you have. I've obtained two cats from the pound, both feral, and they have done well. My latest cat is somewhat skittish even now though but she will let you pet her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think when they are still little, feral kittens can be adoptable. My daughter has had some success. But it takes lots of time and lots of love and lots of patience. I hope someone takes each one.
    I like your bargain basement quilt. Did you make up the pattern, just build each block slab style? Or is there a tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun quilty projects :-)
    And yes, the feral cats can be socialized though it can take awhile. You did the best thing for them. Hope you can be successful transferring that last one. I'm so sorry you had to lose the mom. That and more is what you have saved the kittens from. I hope the shelter can find good fosters and homes for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maggie,
    I'm allergic to cats too, but you couldn't just ignore them. I'm with your DH and would have brought them canned food too. I'll bet that trip to the shelter was hard!! {{Hugs}} You can't keep the remaining scaredy cat - literally in this case. Both quilts you shared are beautiful. I love the sherbet one - just the colors - but the plaid is great too. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. We took 12 feral cats to a free spay/neuter clinic about 10 years ago. They were all so feral it was and impossible to adopt them out. We paid for shots and then released them where we found them - except for 4 that were very young when we captured them and those were finally willing to co exist with humans. One is my cat the rest a vet adopted out from his office.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the scrap quilt. So glad you were able to catch 4 of the kitties and take them to the shelter. That gives them a much better chance at a happy life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think a scrappy shirt fabric border would be totally appropriate! Nice so far. Claire aka knitnkwilt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your bargain basement quilt! Great way to use those scrappy plaids to the max!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visiting from Crazy Mom Quilts. I'd love to hear the story behind the quilt you named Bargain Basement. I love the scrappy homey look of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! If I lived closer... I would have loved to adopt the one all the way to the right! :-) Such beautiful coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like some great projects on the go. Good luck. Make sure you come back to link up with TGIFF when they are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, you have a soft heart for animals in need like I do. Lovely projects, all! Thanks for linking to Finished or Not Friday. You are featured on the blog tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete