Sunday, June 18, 2017

Stash report June 18. 2017

I bought 4 scrap bags at the guild silent auction. I don't know how to count that so I won't :p.
 I have been cutting scraps down into useable sizes. I have emptied 3 grocery bags. My drawers are filling up, but the scraps are reproducing at an alarming rate. And I bought some more, because I love them ...love them. There is something amazing about a little scrap of fabric, that seems almost free. So many colors and prints that I would never be able to purchase any other way. I love them. And I love cutting them for a reasonable amount of time. What I don't like, is that my accuquilt was so messy and overgrown with scrap weeds, that I didn't want to use it. So I hand cut strips and pieces.

That is just silly, so a clean up is in order.

I am only showing the showable portion of the mess haha. It was so bad on the other side, that I couldn't roll the tray to that side without really pushing it into an avalanche of throw off.


I have a day for string piecing, and a day for spinning wool, I need a day for die cutting and maintenance.

I have set up boxes and baskets for pieces that I want to cut into certain sizes. So, for an example, when I am cutting something I need for 2 1/2 inch strip I can clean out that bucket. The trays are big and wieldy so I am not going to switch them out for just a few strips. But I need to regularly cut through the buckets and boxes before they are overwhelming.



clean up is complete! now I don't want to make a mess by cutting anything. sigh...

 this is what I throw away after cutting -nothing very big or useful So a trash can nearby is essential and a pair of scissors.


Here is the beginning of a new batch of strings and crumbs


My categories are 2 1/2, 2, 1 1/2 inch, chunks for triangles, tumblers, small blocks. and definite triangles or hour glass blocks, and strings/crumbs
I have the 3 1/2 inch strip die but I prefer to cut that size as needed.
I love Bonnie Hunter's scrap user system
and Jo of Jo's country junction uses it too

I plan on hand stitching a binding today as we enjoy Father's day.......

Stash report

Fabric Used this Week 1 yards
Fabric Used year to Date: 221 3/4 yards

Fabric Added this Week:0  yards
Fabric Added Year to Date: 174 3/4 yards

Net Fabric for 2017: 48 yards more used than added

I am linking to:

Slow Sunday Stitching
sharing Sunday

5 comments:

  1. 222 yards used this year??? I am in awe. I'm also dying to run my fingers through your stash, and I mean it in the nicest way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so satisfying to see your cleaned up space after hearing what it was like. It almost makes me feel like I had a hand in it. Participating by blog. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to spend the day organizing! I find that I love to organize when everything feels out of control! :) It seems like you have a big sewing room! Your scraps are so pretty! BTW, I decided to post a Stash Report as well - you inspired me to do so! Thank you! Naturally I linked right back to you! Take good care! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my die cutter for cutting strips also. I even had a custom die made to cut all the strips at once for Bonnie's Scrap User System: 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3.5. Anything that falls short between the blades gets put in the string bucket if it's at least 3/4" wide.

    ReplyDelete