Saturday, June 10, 2017

Marianne Fons workshop

I didn't get a blog post done yesterday. It was time for our guild quilt show. I had an early deadline.
The morning lecture with Marianne Fons was great. She talked about the different quilt categories. Traditional, art quilts, contemporary, and modern. She is a big proponent of quilts of valor.



Our class was great
We made the sweatpea block which is Bonnie Hunter's Mai tai in paradise block

Marianne was a consistent, impressive quilter and teacher. I picked up a few hints that I know will make my quilting better.





My block


and this is how hers was set



I have 5 more maple leaf blocks finished for the color yellow in the rainbow scrap challenge



I am linking to:
Finished or Not Fridays   
Whoop Whoop


I am linking to
 SewCan She
rsc17 super saturday

15 comments:

  1. I made a quilt with the Mai Tai blocks. It is a fun one to put together. Yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so would like to have heard Marianne Fons - I miss seeing her and Liz Porter on tv together. The sweet pea block looks like fun and I would like to try that one with my club. That quilt of valor is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the Rock Island Campfires quilt in the first picture. I have had that pattern and ONE sample block that I made on my desk ever since that magazine came out. It's on my "someday" list when I finish up some of my UFOs. I have a feeling I will have a "string" year. What a fun speaker for your guild!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like fun. Neat blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always fun to learn from a nationally (internationally?) known speaker/teacher. And you even managed some YELLOW sewing for the RSC. Go, you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the striped stems on the maple leaf blocks. Always good to take a workshop and learn something that makes for more accurate and easier piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That must have been a fun class! Your block turned out lovely. Orange is a favorite color of mine. I love your yellow maple leaf blocks too. Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Maggie,
    That looks like a great workshop you attended. I love your finished block - it's great that you got to sew it up right there. Oh yeah, your post reminds me I'm suppose to be looking (and completing) my own maple leaf project. HAHA . . . now where could it be?! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful opportunity to see such a noted quilt teacher. Love the little candy striped stems on your leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice leaves to add to your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great maple leaf blocks! I just received Addicted to Scraps in the mail today so knew exactly what you meant (that's a big deal for me) when you referenced her name for the Sweetpea block. You're lucky to have been able to take a class from one of the quilting greats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun. Sounds like it was a wonderful class. Very pretty blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your block is absolutely stunning! Great job! Really like your leaves! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the maple leaf blocks... the stripe stems are fun

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a pretty block! Thanks for linking to Finished or Not Friday!

    ReplyDelete