Thursday, February 6, 2020

shirts

I had stopped buying thrift store shirts. I had plenty, and was tired of cutting them apart. And, I still don't have a tried and true way to store them. If they are in boxes or plastic containers and stacked, I forget about them and forget to use them. But, I discovered a new to me blog of a quilter who uses recycled fabric and my interest was renewed. She has a lot of free patterns and I really like reading about her plans and thinking. Her free patterns are here. Her blog quilted twins is here. There is also a shop with discounted fabric.



I generally keep the fronts and backs together and folded in whatever I keep them in so they stay nice. I keep the yokes, and sleeves separate to cut down right away.  I have been cutting squares from the sleeves at 9 1/2, 8 1/2, and 7 1/2 inches. The leftovers go into a tub with the yokes for cutting into strips or triangles.
It is getting harder and harder to find 100% cotton shirts any more, evidently, the last manufacturing trend is back to cotton and polyester. I find it is best to get them from a regular thrift store since goodwill has gotten expensive, in my opinion. These are leftover pieces of sleeves after cutting the squares. There is probably a whole quilt just in the leftovers.



I am linking to:
Oh scrap

2 comments:

  1. I think in my area men must not use these cotton shirts but use t-shirts instead as I never find 100% cotton shirts at the goodwill type of stores

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what a venture! Will be fun to see what you make out of them!

    ReplyDelete