Friday, September 22, 2017

Grandpas star

I have yet another long time ufo in a project box. This is a wonderful quilt to use all the bonus triangles that I have been accumulating. And the blocks are really fun to make. And when I do the final pressing, it is just so fun to see what it became. I have some very old 1/2 square triangles that finish at 2 inches.

When I first started making Bonnie Hunter quilts, the blocks were more kitchen sink type blocks. Bonnie has refined her scrappy approach to a more color controlled scrappy style. So my bonus triangles, are now baggies that are one color. I don't know if any one quilt will make enough triangles to make it's own quilt. So that is a worry for later.

The pattern was from an Addicted to scraps column in the March/April 2012 quiltmaker magazine




the mock up of the quilt shows 80 blocks 8 x 10. I will have to see if I like it that way. I really like the look of just the block.

I generally sew the bonus triangles at the time I am sewing the original block. Then I throw them in a drawer. Every now and then, I open the drawer, panic at the chaos, and determine to do "something" with the mess. I have a couple of marathon pressing and trimming sessions, and then, count and baggie them. I usually love the process, and so I am more likely to use them and make them again. I am really happy that Bonnie has "invented" the bonus triangle buddy. I really use it, and it has helped with the trimming process.

When I opened the box, I have 28 blocks, only 52 more to go.


I am linking to:
Finished or Not Fridays   
Whoop Whoop


4 comments:

  1. I have a stack of bonus triangles right now too! Liz at Savor Every Stitch calls them "goose poop!" Lol! I'm hoping to turn them into a quilt soon! Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great scrappy quilt blocks, so inspiring. I like the "kitchen sink" look!
    Cheers,
    Sylvia@Treadlestitches

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are really neat blocks! I do like the surprise star that develops when you put the blocks together - i liked the block by itself, too, but didn't expect that star to show up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm piling up quite a stack of those bonus HSTs while making the SITs quilt. What a great way to use a few of those up.

    ReplyDelete