Tuesday, February 16, 2021

to do: assemble florabunda

Our Friday small group met at the library, and I took the opportunity to use the floor for a design floor.

 I had finished the blocks last year for this Bonnie Hunter free pattern called Florabunda. The color for February  for the rainbow scrap challenge at so scrappy is yellow. And this is one of the UFOs that I am working on for yellow.  I was very disappointed at it looking at it on the design floor. It looked ugly.  So, I spent time thinking how I could not finish the quilt, and, not let all the work go to waste. I waited a day to pull it out at home. Yellow is my favorite color. I had fun finding florals in my stash. I like the design of a Jacob's ladder. I like scrappy, even ugly scrappy. SO what was the problem. 


I decided to stick with the program and finish it. I have a few rows together, and, I like it. I guess it can never leave my home since it looks fine here.... for a scrappy quilt.


Other projects from my friends.....



I am linking to:


9 comments:

  1. I also made a florabunda quilt with yellow background years ago. I also disliked it but finished and had it long arm quilted. There was another person who loved it (!) and bought it from me. Later I saw a floribunda on another blog and they had used a light background fabric. I actually like that quilt. If I ever make another one, I'll use a light colored background fabric. I like yellow in quilts but that was just way too much yellow for me. Hopefully you'll love your quilt when it is finished, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it, too! Maybe the public lighting messed with the yellows enough to make them look weird?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also made Floribunda blocks which are gathering dust in a closet. Looks like you need more red florals to give it more 'pop'. But it's fine on its own. I think the piano key border Bonnie used (and didn't write into the pattern) helps, too. I have most of the border ready for when I get a wild hair to assemble my blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I am sorry you don't love your Floribunda. I made it when Bonnie was posting instructions for it years ago and I absolutely love the look. I used my ugliest florals that I thought I would never use, but it ended up looking great. I think yours is fabulous, too. I had forgotten all about mine until reading this--it is hanging in a closet somewhere, waiting to be quilted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My quilts often go through an "ugly duckling" stage! It may make a difference to you after the blocks are sewn together and it's quilted. I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Florabunda looks beautiful to me! The pale yellows remind me of dappled sunlight on a lazy summer afternoon, which is exactly what I NEED to be reminded of on a cold, yucky day in February!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes it's the lighting you are viewing things under. It can skew our perception. Better to finish and be the victor of your quilting! Thanks for linking up this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, thank you for linking in my patchwork party. Your blocks looks beautiful! Yellow is definitely a nice color ;-) Best regards, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, so many great blocks ... I really take off my hat. Your quilt looks very summery with the many beautiful bright colors and the yellow of the sun. 😊

    Many greetings your sewing enthusiast Andrea 🍀

    ReplyDelete