Wednesday, February 3, 2021

to do: boxy stars

My small quilt group met Tuesday. I was eager to unbox an older ufo that I plan to finish for the rainbow scrap challenge at so scrappy. My list said I had the blocks done. And so it was. I knew I would have a little floor space to lay it out to decide how I wanted to finish it. I took a piece of fabric with me in case I wanted to use it for sashing. I am not a big fan of sashing. Sometimes, there is a great secondary pattern that disappears with sashing. And it takes forever. One jelly roll makes 20 blocks. Without sashing, this quilt would be too small, in my opinion.

This is a Bonnie Hunter free pattern quilt called boxy stars. My black and yellow version is from 2016

12 1/2 inch blocks

time to cut more sashing

I should be able to finish this month.

I am linking to:


12 comments:

  1. Yeah, sashing can really kill fun block play sometimes. Sometimes, though, it totally makes the design sing. These blocks look like they can play both ways. I like the way the sashing defines them as units that have fun 3D effect going on. Without the sashing, it looks like they make a fun trellis look, but most of the 3D effect looks flattened. This will pretty when you're finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maggie! Ooh, I love this color combination. That's one of the great things about jelly rolls - having the coordinating fabrics all together. I agree that this one needs the sashing - I don't see a secondary pattern with this block, do you? Thanks for linking up. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sashing effect, makes an interesting design. It is so great you can get together with your friends for a sew day, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the perfect UFO to finish up this year -- did you realize that your quilt palette matches Pantone's Colors of the Year for 2021?! We should all be looking to your quilts to figure out what the hot colors will be 5 years in the future! :-). https://www.pantone.com/color-of-the-year-2021. I don't mind sashing on this quilt at all. In fact, it kind of makes the blocks look more modern to separate them like that. This will be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty, I like both versions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boxy stars is one of the first Bonnie Hunter free patterns I had ever tried. That was way before I knew what a 1/4" seam really was and how important it is to be accurate. I didn't make any more, but I still have it and the jelly roll and that quilt backing. I only made one block, and other quilting projects and QALs too over my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those black and yellow blocks. You made good progress on the assembly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sashing will definitely help with the size. Much easier than making more blocks. Locke colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Working on a YELLOW project for the RSC is good, but even better when you are finishing up a UFO, Maggie!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always fun to play and decide how the quilt will look. I think either option will make a cute quilt.

    ReplyDelete