Saturday, February 10, 2024

cutting red scraps

I turned my attention to my applique project - across the wide missourri- for the rainbow scrap challenge this month.

The stars were mostly red, so that was my goal.


It seemed that the cabin was red enough, too. I was able to get the big structure attached to the block.
The chinking for the cabin is going to take a bit. There is a red chimney, but, I can't add it until the roof is finished.



I didn't have many red hsts in my extras drawer. I needed to cut most of the red sets for sugar grove this month. Last month, I had plenty in green in the drawer.


sets of 5 sugar grove

sets of 3 and 4


I dug through my red 2 1/2 inch bin to cut for my rsc projects this month. I started with 3 pounds and 10 ounces of strips. After sorting and cutting, I reduced the strips to 1 pound 9 ounces. 

I had the equivalent of 1 1/2 jelly rolls in wof strips. I had enough to make a binding for a large quilt - rick rack nines. I cut shorter lengths into hsts for sugar grove and monkey wrench. I sewed odd pieces to a light 2 1/2 inch strip for 4 patches or 25 patches.

I am linking to:



5 comments:

  1. That's such a great idea - to make the applique quilt according to the color of themonth! You'll definitely be making progress that way. Pretty HSTs, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you got a good start on the applique. Wow, on the progress with your 2.5" strips. That's progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Across the wide Misouri is a wonderful design, I'm looking forward to seeing this evolve each month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those red HSTs you made! Such pretty fabrics. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/02/14/wednesday-wait-loss-367

    ReplyDelete