Saturday, February 24, 2024

zig zag ripple

On a whim, I decided to add another rainbow scrap challenge block to my list using 1 1/2 inch strips.

ok  a rant. Do you have those quilting snobs in your guild?  While I was sewing these blocks together at an open sew. One quilter approached me and said  -when I see you sewing these, I think it is a complete waste of perfectly good thread. Then she looked at my thread, never mind, that is cone thread and it is not even good thread. I had to chuckle  Especially when you think about our quilting ancestors using whatever they had available to express their creativity and ingenuity. Not that I am creative or ingenious - I just like to sew pieces of fabric together... No need to remind this community that one man's junk is another man's art. 




I am really enjoying the hen and chicks blocks that Angela is creating for us.  I did finally frame the small blocks I have made. I didn't know if I wanted the background all the same fabric or go scrappy. I decided scrappy.

10 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that woman was so rude to you. I quit my local guild because of the quilt police and other rude behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoever made that comment, has no idea how the majority of us started out in this craft. My first attempt was with T-shirt knit fabrics, a storm at sea pattern. It failed because I was new to quilting. My second attempt was with fabric glue and it was crooked and lopsided but loved for sixteen years, a win! The third attempt was with visco and an overlocking machine. It was a win because it was used and well loved by us. You are showing the ones who is following that you can use everything and it will not go into a landfill. I thank you for using everything that you do and your wonderful service to our beautiful world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that sounds annoying! A waste of thread?! I made a whole rainbow quilt out of blocks just like you're making, and it's one of my favorite quilts ever. I love your zigzag blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a rude lady in your guild, I'm sure you wouldnt utter comments like that. Never mind, you kept on stitching away and look how many blocks you finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blocks all the more after reading what that quilt snob said!?! They are beautiful, intricate, precise and fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at you working through all those RED scraps, Maggie!! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The NERVE of some people!! I think your blocks are wonderful and using cone thread is SEW smart. We have to save money where we can!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilt police really can be too much to take sometimes. Using whatever thread holds your blocks together sounds like the best plan to me. The zig zag blocks are too cute and I love how your sampler blocks turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a rude and strange comment! And, yes, use the thread as well as the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an evil person! I am so glad you kept sewing and did what you wanted, ignoring her rudeness because the result was some pretty blocks. It is really her insecurity talking--maybe it's because you sew faster, have prettier fabrics, or can quilt with abandon and joy. Whatever it is, she's jealous and her way of dealing with that was to try to carve you down a peg. Ha! It didn't work. Hugs, dear friend. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/02/28/wednesday-wait-loss-369

    ReplyDelete