Monday, November 28, 2016

Strips and Corn

After  Thanksgiving company left, I had a chance to sit and sew for the new mystery quilt En Provence. I was a really good girl and only disappeared from the family a few moments to check how my sewing machine was doing.

I found these strip candidates already in my 2 inch strip bin.

Not much there I wanted to use. I think they are too dark - Probably why they are still in the bin. I started cutting...
I cut off different lengths and sewed them together, working on variety. I was afraid it would be boring sewing neutrals together, but it was great fun, making sure no two 4 patches were the same.
My favorite were the blocks of and old sugar sack that I had been saving for a special quilt.

I don't have any trouble twisting seams on this size square, but I do as the size gets bigger.
I have 65 completed, only 156 to go.


We added a new dish to our traditional Thanksgiving menu


Corn Casserole
  • 1 (15 1/4 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 (14 3/4 oz) can cream-style corn
  • 1 (8 oz) package Jiffy corn muffin mix
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9- by 9-inch baking pan or a 2 quart casserole dish.

Mix together the corn, Jiffy, sour cream and butter in a large bowl. Stir in the cheese. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 55 minutes, or until golden brown and set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Note: You can bake for a shorter time in a 9x13, but the texture will be different than baking in the 9x9 or 2 quart casserole. The 9x13 will be thin slices where the 2 quart casserole produces more of a corn pudding. Either way is delicious. 
 I doubled it, but will only do the 9x9 next time with all the other "stuff" we had to eat.









I am linking to:
Making Monday
Moving it Forward Monday 
Main Crush Monday



14 comments:

  1. Great start on the mystery! Beautiful neutrals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your neutrals, just love that fabric with the scissors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your fabric variety. I may regret going safe this year with mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great set of neutrals! You've made an excellent start. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't done strip piecing in forever, but I think that maybe some 9-patches might be perfect for a medallion border that I've been mulling over for a UFO. Your corn dish looks yummy! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea for getting a start on the mystery. It will be fun to see all the color variations. Once again I am being "mature" by not playing along and starting another UFO. I am close to finishing a UFO instead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice mix of neutrals. I'm also a fan of every unit different. I do try not to obsess over it too much.

    Barbara at Stash Overflow

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely blocks and the variety is going to add a lot of interest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great start! I like that scissors fabric, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of fun neutrals in your blocks. You made a lot of progress over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your neutrals are lovely. My sister in law makes something like your corn casserole. It is a family favorite.

    ReplyDelete