Saturday, October 1, 2016

Kaleidoscope workshop


Mary Huey taught a Kaleidoscope workshop after her presentation to our guild. It was fun. She used the Marti Mitchell ruler. The ruler was extremely useful and made the whole block go together smoothly. The tricky part was at the machine, making the center match and lay flat. Luckily, each one got easier and better. I was really impressed and think I will make a whole quilt using this ruler and technique. So I have been cutting.
 This was an incredible sample that she shared with us.
The quilt in the background is the one we were attempting to make. I started with an old fat quarter bundle and added some of my scraps to make a bigger variety.
The ruler will cut the wedges and the corner triangles.




The size of strip needed for each size block is listed on the ruler, along with a guide for cutting the odd size triangle strip. The ruler comes in two sizes. Of course, I bought them both. Tools are cool.
Although Mary used a large variety of neutrals in her quilt, I found that with my first block, I preferred a single background light, since the fabric was busy, and mostly mediums.

There is a book as well, that I ordered from Mary.
I am linking to

Show off Saturday at Sew Can She

No comments:

Post a Comment