Friday, September 30, 2016

Fieflies and color

I finished cutting the fireflys for fancy forest quilt. I am using cotton and steel fabric.
I like the way Elizabeth Hartman wrote the pattern. There is a big cut in the beginning of the pattern and then a subcut for each animal. If I had to do the whole thing in one sitting, I would not have finished in this century.  I stand to cut and I can sit to trim. My older back complains about cutting. I try not to listen but... How do you prefer to cut?

The firefly is the last critter in the forest - so close, and then, we see if they will play well together. I used the accuquilt to cut for my green hourglass swap. This is for the leader ender challenge at Quiltville
I mentioned our guest speaker at Kokomo Piecemakers Guild was Mary Huey from Ohio ( quilting through rose colored trifocals ). She had wonderful quilts to show us. Her presentation was about color, and I learned so much more about how color choices can improve a quilt. 
I realized that I tend to consider mediums as darks and they really aren't. That may make my choices a little messier looking and without much contrast. My Fancy Forest Quilt is my example. I was trying to use more modern up to date fabrics, but I don't like it. I think I didn't pay enough attention to contrast.
I left the meeting wanting to quilt more, better. Have you had speakers at your guild that are so persnickety about quilting and you leave thinking I can never measure up? This was just the opposite. Mary had the talent and the accuracy, but she was very genuine. And just enough funny.
Note to self : encourage helpers to be the same tall.





And hexie love


I am linking to:
TGIFF
and
Whoop Whoop
and
finished or not Friday
and 
Fort Worth Fabric studio

2 comments:

  1. My back really hurts after cutting out a quilt, and I have to stand. I just came back from a quilt retreat. The cutting table was taller, and it was much easier. Sometimes I wait till I have a lot of trimming, and I go downstairs and do it on my kitchen counter which is taller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that all that cutting is done and dusted you can have fun piecing it all back together :)

    ReplyDelete