Monday, June 5, 2023

clarissa quilt progress

 I rediscovered this project while cleaning up messes. I had a stack of related fabric scraps that I really liked, and, I started a year or so ago to make an old hourglass block quilt. I thought before I put it away in the ufo closet, I would just cut to make sure I would have enough and make 36 centers. sounded easy. the centers only have 4 hourglass blocks.


I cut most of what I had, and, then, took count to see if I would need to add more fabrics. I definitely need more. It was not as easy as it sounded. The outer row needs 40 of each print for that ring of hourglasses. I needed to cut and count and save any that had enough matching QSTS for the outer border, and, then, 24 for the middle border, and, then, I could use what was left for the centers. I was afraid if I broke up the sets to start with the centers, I would not have any left with a large enough number to make the outer ring. sigh

my baggie of sets of 40

I don't know how many I have cut, but I know that there is enough of the original fabrics in each bag, and I can go scrappy from here.
I make a couple of centers each morning as I cut and count.
I took the bag of 40 with me to an open sew, and I could run some through as I worked on my other projects. They are so cute. Each hourglass is 2 1/2 inches and will finish at 2 inches in the quilt.


a few centers

and one gift bag of scraps all cut
'
Cutting and sorting does keep a mess going.

 I saw this quilt on sane,crazy, crumby blog and loved it. She loved it from Kathy quilts. And Kathy loved it from the Shelbourne museum. Quilting is a hobby that links us to the past and to the future, a gift that keeps on giving. Thank you to all the lovely quilters who ply their art. You have enriched my life. And my daughter is an amazing quilter, too.......

8 comments:

  1. Gathering inspiration from many sources - current and past - is definitely one of the foundations of quilting. Can't wait to see this one coming together. And yes - I keep increasing the mess due to constant cutting and sorting. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those are tiny hourglass blocks! But looking forward to seeing the quilt come together when you get to that point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Maggie! Those are such tiny little hour glass blocks. I must say you have more patience than I - just because the smaller the block the longer to make the quilt! LOL Thanks for sharing with Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute little hourglass blocks. I have recently made a bunch of these myself from block trimmings, and have yet to square them up, but they are in the 2" finished range. I am thinking of a baby doll quilt for my pile of blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun little blocks! And yes, I love the inspiration from the past and hopefully I can pass it on and inspire someone in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how the antique quilt inspired so many new quilts! Those little centers are so adorable. After seeing the quilt, I can see why you need to sort by fabrics. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/06/07/wednesday-wait-loss-331

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scrappy is one of my favorite kinds of quilts to make. Enjoy the process of those little hour glass blocks. Thanks for sharing in Sew & Tell

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maggie those little hourglass blocks are just too cute and I can't wait to see this one progress to a finish. What fun that you remembered not only where you were inspired but also where they were inspired back to a museum quilt! It truly is a beauty! Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday. Hope you've had lots of stitching time this week.

    ReplyDelete