Monday, June 26, 2023

wensleydale quilt blocks

I have a love/ hate relationship with Jen kingwell patterns. I fall in love with the quilts, but, agonize over the patterns and execution. My quilting buddies decided to make wensleydale found in kingwell's book. I started gathering scraps and colors for it. The templates and book was pricey, so I waited for a cheaper alternative. I ended up buying the paper piecing papers over the templates. But, I waited until I wanted to paper piece the blocks, which didn't happen. So, I bought the templates, anyway. They are fiddley to cut. My cut pieces don't match up like I would like, at all. I think I figured out why. I set my  seams to a scant 1/4 inch. I think jen uses a true 1/4 inch and with 7 sets of blocks in each block that can make a difference. I am having better luck by increasing my seam allowance.


I try to make at least 2 every morning. And that has helped me stay at it. I have over half of the 60 blocks done.



a little debbie mumm and calico

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you on JK patterns--you described it to a tee! Your blocks are looking colorful and fun!!! Two+ a day is a great plan and it's paying off for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with her patterns but I'll sure take note of that. This one is unique to me. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love this. It reminds me a tiny bit of the rectangles in Storm at Sea. I too would prefer paper piecing them. Those corners are fiddley. Your two a day goal seems to be pumping them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these blocks! For me they would be easier to piece using paper piecing, but I understand why a lot of people don't like that method. Such pretty fabrics! What a pretty quilt this will make. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/06/28/wednesday-wait-loss-334

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blocks are gorgeous. I've never tried a Kingwell pattern, but I think paper piecing might have been easier! You are doing great making two a day! Thanks for sharing on MM.

    ReplyDelete