Saturday, January 23, 2021

zuckerwatte in progress

I have sew enjoyed the pink inspiration with the rainbow scrap challenge at so scrappy. Looking at the design walls all filled with pink, makes me happy. I don't have a design wall or even a design floor, but, I sure have pink scraps. I am doing rsc a little different this year, by concentrating on ufos by color. I miss sewing the blocks, and watching them grow, though.

 It was time to dig around in my pink 2 1/2 inch drawer for the rainbow scrap challenge. The drawer was overflowing. I knew that I would need 2 1/2 HSTS - ( half square triangles ). for a bonnie Hunter quilt zuckerwatte from her book string fling. I chose to add it to the list for January, because, it is a mostly pink ufo, and, it would help clean out the drawer strips drawer.

sneaky red in the drawer


I grabbed the short pieces, and, this time, I separated the wof strips from the drawer. I had no idea how many I would have. I needed 430 HSTS - ( half square triangles ). So, I cut and cut and cut, and repeat.


This is what was left when I was done cutting - a mostly empty drawer. hooray



I sewed 240 HSTS - ( half square triangles )


trimmed and ironed

And was left with the extras. I am thrilled if this is all I get done for the month.



My rainbow projects for 2021 with links:

tiny houses

postage stamp psp20

ice cream

waffle stamp blocks

love pillowcases

2 pink flannel baby quilts and here

I am linking to:

rsc21 super saturday
oh scrap
UFO busting





17 comments:

  1. That is a lot of HST's but you'll easily complete them if you power sew. The Z quilt is a lovely one and conveniently it uses pink, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list of UFOs it is fun to collect blocks, but focusing in turning those blocks into finished quilts is going to feel even better. Looks like you got a good handle on the pink bin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great progress and love the scrappy zuckerwatte quilt. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's a great idea to focus on UFOs this year! Looks like you made good progress on that pink bin - I admire your patience in doing all that cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Combining the RSC with your UFO list is a great idea, Maggie. I enjoyed some success with that plan in 2020. You made some sweet PINK progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is going to be an awesome scrap quilt! What fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No design wall in my sewing room either, all the projects have boxes, they get an airing, with a bit of work. Over time they get done. The one project which struggle to get going, is this year's RSC. It has progress, for which I am grateful. Good luck with the works in progress. Bonnie Hunter is inspiring with her patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness that's a whole lot of HSTs! I had to go look up what a Zuckerwatte quilt looked like. Now I see why all the HSTs! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a lotta pink triangles.. you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many HSTs. Good for you! I hope you get the pink UFO finished!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Combining RSC with UFO's is a great idea. I may need to do that for 2022 so that I can get some ancient projects done. Good inspiration-thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whew! That's a LOT of HSTs and what an accomplishment! Loads & loads of adorable little squares. Maybe you'll have extras to experiment with later!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a lot of HSTs! Bonnie certainly seems to like to use them in her quilts, it seems we always make a lot, particularly little ones! You've done really well with working on your pink UFOs this month and moving a few off the list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful way of tackling your UFOs! I love HSTs and all the combinations that can be achieved with them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great progress on those pink scraps. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a clever way to do RSC and tackle the UFO's. I might have to consider this myself. And that Zuckerwatte has been on my wish list for a while. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete