Wednesday, January 20, 2021

5 inch scraps

 I had a box of recycled shirts that I wanted to cut for quilt patterns I am hoping to make. I had already taken the shirts apart, so, I made a box for each size I wanted to cut, 10 inch, 5 inch, 2 1/2, 3 1/2, 2. I decided to cut largest to smallest, so, that, the leftovers can be fed into the smaller sizes. I cut 10 inches. I used the front of the shirt without the pocket for 10 inch squares. The front with the pocket, I put in the box for 5 inch squares. I am still saving the backs.


I cut from any sleeves I found for the anvil quilt. I need a 4 1/2 strip and enough matching 2 1/2 inch strips for 10 HSTS and 2 squares per block.


I had other scraps in the 5 inch box and cut them. They weighed 2 pounds and 9 ounces. That would be the equivalent of 7 1/2 yards of fabric @ 10.00 per yard = 75.00


There is approximately 3/4 yard in a charm pack. That is almost 10 packs of 42 charms @ 10.00 dollars = $100.00. And, if 4 packs of charm squares and a background, make a good size lap quilt, there are 2 1/2 quilts in my box. 

I received this great comment from Rebecca Grace. I love the idea of an assistant scrap manager. Wouldn't you? The hard part would be deciding if the assistant should ever say "throw it out" or not. It might be wise if she did?

 Rebecca Grace has left a new comment on your post "crumb star": 


What a lovely way to use up those smaller scraps, Maggie! You're inspiring me! My scrap bins are getting awfully full, too. I feel like I need to hire an Assistant Scrap Manager.

I am linking to:


I am linking to:

3 comments:

  1. Interesting way to look at scraps--think of their equivalent in purchasing them. Then use them with gratitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of quilts out of those shirts. If it was the job of the assistant scrap manager to cut the scraps to usable sizes, I'd go for one!

    ReplyDelete