Tuesday, January 5, 2021

to do: set a goal for scrap management

I have tried to set some goals for scrap management. Scraps are everywhere, and, are taking over my quilting life. I enjoy cutting scraps, but, when it comes to putting them away, I realize I have no more room for them. I need to use out of what is already cut and ready to go, so there will be room for more. 

1.That is why a few boxes just need to go to the attic, and wait for a better time.

2. when this basket is full I have to deal with it. It is about 14 inches across and 7 inches deep, and, it holds a lot of scraps. Any more than that, I would likely just procrastinate. 



it is already starting to collect scraps...like a magnet

3. make a list of all the quilts I want to cut out and what to cut.

    shirts ohio star -5 1/2 inch strips

    snails trail - 

    pineapple- 3 inch strips

    and any new ones.

My lastest cutting 

These weighed just a little over 3 pounds. If there are 3 yards in a pound, then, there are 9 yards of fabric. No wonder I can't use them fast enough. That is enough yardage to make a good size lap quilt. And they were just bits and chunks. At today's prices that would be nearly $100.00

I am linking to:

5 comments:

  1. Your calculation of the value of your scraps just made me think, "Wow!" I have that going on in my sewing room, too - a basket I throw everything in that is just about to overflow. You're inspiring me to do something with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it’s an important point regarding scrap usage. Think of the $$ that are just tossed! I can’t bear that! So, yes ,scraps are my major projects! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maggie! Hmm, I seem to be out of the loop as I don't have a scrap basket. I have a small pile of fabrics that I need to cut up into 2.5" squares (for doll quilts), but I really LOVE your idea of making a list of what you need to cut and focus on. That sounds like it would work great. Thanks for linking up today. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've decided I need to try and deal with my scraps this year as well. I have way too many.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scraps do seem to just materialize out of nowhere. Good luck with your scrappy challenges.

    ReplyDelete