Tuesday, May 23, 2017

string piecing magic


I had time for a little bit of string piecing this weekend. I used my singer treadle I sure know how to make a mess.




I needed 32 whole blocks by my count.Then I will cut them diagonally for 64 1/2 square triangles. These are all trimmed and de- papered. I was aiming for 8 inch square but the phone book wasn't that big so these were trimmed to 7 1/2 inch square. I can't believe how quickly these blocks were finished while I was treadling away.

I am aiming for making this quilt that I only have a picture to show how to make. I had already made a set of blocks for this quilt, but I cut them diagonally twice so the strings didn't make it visually. I decided I would try again to see if it really made a difference in the look of the quilt.


I am linking to:
Fiber Tuesday


Free Motion by the River
Making Monday
Moving it Forward Monday 
main Crush Monday


design wall monday

9 comments:

  1. Hi Maggie,
    Those blocks look great, and the finished quilt you are trying to emulate is really nice. It looks to me like you are going down the right path. ~smile~
    Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't this kind of sewing fun? I'm sure yours will look just as pretty as the original!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are counting the "center" stringed blocks, I count nly 16 blocks of strings to cut in half giving you 32 blocks that are 1/2 string pieced and 1/2 white fabric. By "center" area, I mean the middle ibside of the "ribbon" border. It's an interesting pattern, and I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right, it's 32 whole string blocks, to cut into two pieces. I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictured quilt is very pretty. I hope your blocks turn out the right way. Looking forward to seeing your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely design - good luck!! With the picture to guide you, you should be able to work out a plan - it's going to be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a fun pattern. Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the scrappiness of the blocks and I think the quilt will look so good. The design is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is going to be a fabulous quilt! So scrappy

    ReplyDelete