Friday, October 9, 2020

thoughts on finishing



I made a commitment to finish this quilt a
nd a patriotic one, before, I would do any random sewing or work on wips. I did this because, I had reached overwhelm, with too many plates spinning in the air. With the additional end of the year approaching, I am losing steam. I have had a great finishing year, but I have started too many new projects, too. 


I bought this quilt kit at a blog hop a couple of years ago. I spent time making the pieces, and, eventually, assembled the top. It was much smaller than I had pictured in my mind... much smaller. I knew I needed to add to it, so, it went into the ufo closet. Last week, I was looking for a project I was hoping to finish at a workshop, and, I was confronted with how many ufos were actually in the closet. Hang my head in shame. It was classic out of sight out of mind. I have many really great projects that just need a little attention to be finished and marked off the list. 

Friday might - pull the quilt out of the box and take stock - no ideas
Saturday - an idea came to me, and, I made the first hourglass block
Sunday - I added the inner border - no thinking there.
Monday   made hour glass block using suzies scrap hour glass tutorial. The only math I did was deciding that a 4- 1/2 inch block would make a nice size border.
Tuesday - did a head calculation for how many hour glasses might fit on the quilt and made 55 of them
Wednesday - made half lengths of border, thinking I might have to do an insert in the center to make them fit
Thursday - the border fit perfectly, even making the corner the way I wanted. But, still not big enough.
Friday- decided to add the rest of the scraps in lengths around the outside, and, used all that was left minus a 3x5 inch piece
Saturday - I quilted it. 
Monday -I added the binding







I really like it, and it will have a special spot in my heart for all the "experimenting" and working on it until I liked it.


61 x 74

What I learned about myself during this experiment.
I really don't care if I ever finish, I like the process and being creative. Therefore, I don't have an inner voice prompting me to finish.
It was hard not therapeutically sewing, but, I did feel more in control of what I was doing.
I need to trust my feeling that something isn't to my liking, and work on that.
I renewed my appreciation for just how much time it takes to make a quilt.
I have more than enough wonderful ufos to last a lifetime. I need to make them the go to for a new project


17 comments:

  1. That hourglass border draws the eye out so you view the quilt as a whole. Great idea to make the quilt just a bit bigger. As for focusing on those UFOs percolating in the closet, I suggest you reward yourself with a new fun project after finishing one or two UFOs. Otherwise, you will revolt and ignore the UFOs altogether. Trust me, I know! Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on a great finish! and way to go - to focus and get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great finish, Maggie! I enjoyed reading your post all about it, and I'm a lot like you in that I love the process of creating, and don't always care so much about the finish. But, also, that once in awhile it's good to commit to a finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous! I love the addition of the hourglass border and then using the scraps for the last border was a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't you do well, "squirreling away" till you came up with this finished quilt, well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job on growing that UFO into a finished quilt, Maggie!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is so lovely! The hourglass blocks are perfect, the design looks like they're supposed to be in there. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Maggie, you did a really good job on the quilt. The borders really look great - as if you had planned it all along. I would not have thought to add strips of fabric as a border. Well done:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have really, really good instincts. The hourglass border really works. Congrats on a beautiful finish and on getting one more UFO out of the closet and finished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that squirrel sign, but I REALLY love that quilt. It’s perfect - great colors and design, beautiful quilting, and so interesting and unique overall. It’s a 10!!! Congratulations, Maggie!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely quilt! But I love the insights you discovered even more! Finishing UFOs can actually teach us about our quilting selves.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I really like it too! I think I've learned the same things about myself as you have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What a beautiful finish! Your intuitive process is terrific and boy. . .can I ever identify with too many UFOs. . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's lovely! Great thinking to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very lovely finish! I too have learned not to worry too much about the finishes. I know I will get to them eventually (maybe)...

    Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This quilt is MARVELOUS!! Your hourglass idea was serendipitous, both for the look of the design and the perfect physical fit! I love it so much when that happens. And the scrappy outer border frames it all so very nicely. I also love the swirly quilting you did on it. I too, am a process-oriented person more than finish-driven. Unless I have a specific gift needed for a certain time, I am at my own whimsy for when I finish what. I am perfectly OK with that 99% of the time. :) Once every couple of years I feel that overwhelmed sensation you mention and do just this - pull out a UFO and task myself to stay with it to the end. Then I can go right back to my normal mode of operation. It's always nice to run across folks who have similar quilting motivations.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A wonderful finish! I love your colour combo and your quilting is great too. It's nice to get a 'finish' now & then, but like you I too prefer the journey!

    ReplyDelete