Thursday, December 12, 2019

scrap bag

Sometimes, after cataract surgery, the eye will still make a film at the back of the new lens. I am one of those. I had the first cataract surgery last fall, and another in January. By now, my eyes had healed well enough, that, I could have a lazer treatment of the membrane behind the lens. I did one last week and one yesterday. There is nothing to it except the fear of the unknown. It was quick and painless, but the eye is dilated for most of the day and that is funky.

One of my favorite purchases at a quilt show in the fall, was a sack of badly cut squares. The bag was $2.00 and I liked that there were many of the same fabric.


Once I opened the bag, I realized they were not exactly square. They were almost 2 1/2 x 3. I wonder what they were cut to make.
I couldn't decide if I would cut triangles with them or squares. I didn't have a plan except to make them into a useable size.


I know anything would be fine, once I had committed, but, I thought I would look in my "maybe someday" file and see if it fit the needs of a quilt I knew I already liked.



I found this here at sane, crazy, crumbly quilting only I will make mine 2.5 inches.


There were enough of each fabric to cut sets of matching for this wedding ring block or crown of thorns. I think it will be just perfect for this quilt, and, I will get to try this block which I wanted to try ever since I saw it. I love making something from cast offs.

I am linking to:



I am linking to:

7 comments:

  1. I had one cataract removed about 3 years ago and had the same thing happen to me - but I had eye surgery about four months before the cataract was removed and the laser treatment you mentioned went and inflamed my retina and I had to be on steroid eye drops for almost 4 months before it went back to normal - I was told it was probably because of the previous surgery it did that. Glad yours is ok now as it should be - I think I read that about 20% of cataract surgeries have to have the laser treatment afterwards

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks to be the perfect project for those odd squares. Can't wait to see your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those crown of thorns blocks, too! They look like the perfect project for your scrap bag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing like a good bag of scraps to spruce our creativity. Looks like you found the right project for this bag. Glad to hear all went well with your eye treatments. Enjoy the loot. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great deal you got on that bag of "squares". Even better that there were enough duplicates to cut sets for those blocks you've been wanting to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a bargain and such a nice block to sew them up into. I am glad the eye process was painless, seeing clearly is such an important part of sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool block choice for your interesting little bag of..... rectangles? So glad your laser lens cleaning went well. Thank you for sharing here at Creative Compulsions!

    Michelle
    http://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete