Wednesday, February 22, 2017

A bit of history


There is a bit of calm while hand stitching, even if I am not very good at it. This is for block #2 of American Beauty Rose., Which doesn't sound like much for a month's worth of work, but from here, all the preparation and cutting and learning will speed up the process. And I am feeling more confident.

And block #2 is finished. It looks just like block #1. haha
We have had a very mild February. For President's Day I borrowed my two oldest Grandchildren and we spent the day in Indianapolis. Our main goal was to explore Crown Hill Cemetery. It is the final resting place of many famous people. The first burial was in 1864 - Ann Seton.  I thought the whole experience was wonderful. And, fortunately, so did my Grandchildren. They may not appreciate their walk through 153 years of history. But they were fascinated by John Dillinger, President of the United States Benjamin Harrison, Colonel Eli Lily, 3 vice presidents of the United States, Govenor Morton from the civil war, the field of valor, the inventor of the Gatling gun, and my personal visit to James Whitcomb Riley beloved poet.



The confederate soldier  plot with a history lesson.








I was worried that we wouldn't be respectful enough, but I was very proud of my Grands.They were interested and careful, and maybe felt the sacredness of this place. They both really liked reading the map and figuring our route and location.
And a wonderful view of the skyline


I am linking to:
WOW
Midweek Makers
Jo's Country Junction UFO
Bee Social
Silly Mama WIP

3 comments:

  1. wow! your blocks are amazing!
    what a fun adventure too!

    thanks for linking up!

    brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your block looks great to me! And what an interesting trip to take - a great way for history to have an impact on the grands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a significance to the pennies that appear in several photos?

    ReplyDelete