Thursday, February 9, 2017

snow = soup



Our first snow of the year. It was so pretty and flakey. It took awhile for it to stick.
SO  soup...
Oh my goodness this is yummy.
copycat Zuppa Toscana


1 lb. Italian sausage-I used a pound of mild spicy sausage
4-6 russet potatoes, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/4 c. REAL bacon pieces - I cooked the bacon in the air fryer.
 minced garlic to taste
32 oz. chicken broth-I used water and bullion
1 c. kale or Swiss chard, chopped
1 c. heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp flour

1. Brown sausage in a pan.
2. Place sausage, chicken broth, garlic, potatoes and onion in slow cooker. Add just enough water to cover the vegetables and meat.
3. Cook on high 3-4 hours (low 5-6 hours) until potatoes are soft.
30 minutes before serving:
4. Mix flour into cream removing lumps.
5. Add cream, kale, and bacon to the crock pot, stir.
6. Cook on high 30 minutes or until broth thickens slightly.
7. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.

I'm thinking of canning this in a base form, And just adding the cream, roux, kale, and bacon after I open the can to eat.


I'm planning a weekend of quilting with Judy of patchwork Times quilt a thon.
I am still working on American Beauty Rose. I tried my hand at the little fiddley pieces. I used an hemostat for  turning, It worked really well.

Today, I expect to start adding pieces to a block background and see if the pieces will work together. I see this as a reproduction quilt, but quiltsmart instructions are more interested in ease of completion. They are recommending that I zig zag the pieces to the block. I think I want to hand stitch. I think I will have more control of hiding the interfacing if I do it by hand.
We will see.

I am linking to:
needle and thread thursdays
oh scrap
patchwork times


5 comments:

  1. I have that recipe and yes, it is good! Perfect for a day of snow. Now that I've become comfortable with hand sewing, I too find that sometimes even if I CAN machine stitch something, I'd PREFER the look or feel of it hand sewn. You look like you've got a good day of stitching ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snow is pretty at your house. I don't want it at mine. LOL That soup sounds perfect for a cold day, though! I don't like Italian sausage, which is why I never order this, but being able to substitute a nice kielbasa would certain make this delicious to me! Thank you for the recipe. I hope that gorgeous pinkness looks great on your background, and I suspect it will. Thanks for stopping by DesertskyQuilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Quiltsmart patterns. Made one - lone star - it went fast. Great progress there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snow and Soup do go together. My favorite to make is Potato. Have fun with your Applique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you got a very good start on your next project. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete