Wednesday, September 23, 2020

norwegian snowflakes quilt

I started cutting and piecing Norwegian snowflake in July  on my treadle. It is a complicated idea to set up, but, easy to piece. It uses a lot of blue 2 inch scraps. And there are a lot of pieces. The pattern is a grid like block. I had three sets of 4 to make a big block, and I was anxious to see how it will look.


It is a quilted twins free pattern, called norwegian snowflakes, I found here. There are 4 blocks in each quadrant, and, 4 quadrants in a block, and, 9 blocks in the quilt. I really like it. I am excited I used a combination of white based and cream based neutrals. I think it adds something to the quilt. I did realize, I should have been trimming earlier in the process. I waited until it was a quarter of a block, and, I felt that I had to compromise the squares too much. I am grateful that it doesn't have to match up with another block, it just uses sashings. Hopefully that will hide my inaccuracies.



This is going to be fun. But, I am sneaking this in, even when, I have other quilts that I need to finish, and a large batch of customer quilts to get ready in time for the holidays. In the beginning of the pandemic, there were no customer quilts, but, they are making up for it now. I did get more of my quilts done.

I am linking:




7 comments:

  1. That's going to be so pretty! I love the blues, whites, and creams together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I am always attracted to snowflakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. I should make one as I am from Norway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pattern, it's on my to do list too. Your blocks are turning out beautiful! I can't wait to see this one in the flimsy stage. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link to Quilted Twins! They've got some really wonderful quilt patterns. Looking forward to seeing your scrappy snowflake all quilted up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty scrap project! Sometimes, sneak-in projects are the best. :) And, whoa - Quilted Twins is a free-patterns playground for scrappy uses. . . I have a serious bucket list problem now. . . lolol

    ReplyDelete