Saturday, July 21, 2018

red birch trees

I took birch trees with me to my small Friday group. We meet at the library. When I arrived, I realized I didn't have my cutting mat, and these need a lot of cutting. Fortunately, the time was not lost, because the library has a closet of sewing machines and stuff for the patrons to use. I guess it was a grant of some kind. I did get to work on these until the power went out from a quick storm. We waited 10 minutes and then called it a day.



I thought I had planned and cut for six blocks in red, but there were only four in my bag. I think the other two were separated as, I excitedly cleaned up my cutting table for my new cutting mat.
I purchased it at the Marion Indiana quilter's hall of fame quilt show. I have 2 of the rulers and really like them. My cutting mat was showing enough wear, that I knew it was time to make a decision any way.



As soon as I find and make those rascally birch blocks, I will be caught up with the rainbow scrap challenge for the month of red.

I am linking to
 SewCan She

rsc18 super saturday


ufo busting

7 comments:

  1. Very pretty birch blocks. We've had our share of those pop up storms, they've been pretty intense this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can check out a machine at your library?? This sounds awesome! Your red trees look great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had access to some supplies. That is awesome that your library has that! How wide are your "tree" strips? I know they vary, but the widest? I have been making strips, but so far have not cut background squares! Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of your library having a sewing stash of things for people to use. Your birch trees are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those rulers must be the hot ticket! Three of my friends bought them this week at the Sewing Expo. Glad to see that you managed some RED scrappy sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought a quilters select mat and ruler and hated it. I found it hard to get the ruler lined up on my fabric just right with that sticky back. I donated to our guild auction where I heard people say it takes time to get used to....I'll be interested to hear how you like them :) Now the heaving rotary cutter, that I LOVE.

    ReplyDelete