Thursday, August 10, 2017

scraps and treasures

The weather here has been so lovely. The schools have started school, and the world just sounds different with all the children in town back in school. There is no traffic during the day, and the stores are empty. I hate that school starts so early any more. I no longer have children in school, but any time with my Grandchildren will have to be worked around school and vacations. sigh... Where did the summer go?

I am trying to tame the scraps by spending a little time each week cutting them into useable sizes. I throw scraps into bins according to the size I want to cut them. And then cut them all at once with an accuquilt studio. I decided to work on the 2 1/2 inch bin.

Time to save those little treasures...


I have a bunch of strips that I was able to put into the 2 1/2 inch strip drawer. yay! And the little bucket was emptied - double yay! Now my drawers of 2 1/2 inch strips is really, really full. I haven't been using them as I should, since I have been on a finishing schedule. ( not that a few projects haven't magically started themselves). It is time to make a few decisions about the strips before they explode.



Speaking of treasures, a quick stop at the rescue mission thrift stop, and I came home with this sweet vintage top. It was hand pieced and hand appliqued. It was in great shape. Many of the colors are 20s fabric.

And I am always worried that it might be reproduction fabric tricking me into believing it is vintage, but, there were some fabrics that were too ugly to be reproduced lol.

I know I am supposed to be downsizing, but I had to bring it home.


I am linking (links in the sidebar) to:
needle and thread thursdays
oh scrap



2 comments:

  1. I like the plaids amongst your 2 1/2" strips and it looks like you have some other treasures there, too.

    Well, now, that Dresden Plate top is too good to leave at a thrift store. Will you layer and quilt it or disassemble the blocks and use in a different way? My mom didn't really quilt except for a few quilts -- all Dresden Plates (with curved edges instead of pointed). I love how scrappy they can be and still be beautiful. Thanks for sharing this find with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on you success with the battle of the scraps. I'm working getting the UFO list down, then that's the next war that has to be waged. Getting the scraps into quilts.

    ReplyDelete