Saturday, August 19, 2017

small world

For the rainbow scrap challenge, I have added the rest of the churndash blocks to the snow days quilt.

This is a "the world is a small place" post. I had been busy adding strings to phone book paper for a string quilt in my living room. True, it makes a mess, but I have gotten many blocks done by switching my thinking to String/crumb piecing on Saturdays and in my living room. I wasn't overly worried about the mess and what company would think, since we rarely have any living room company any more. And with age comes a certain lack of concern of what others think.
I use phone book paper for my foundation. It is so much easier to piece any kind of string, easier to rip off, and easier on the pocket book. Our phone book pages are getting smaller, so I am on the look out for bigger books for bigger pages. While visiting my daughter in Utah, I brought one of her phone books home with me. the pages were bigger and the book was thicker. It takes a long time to use up a phone book, but I am working on it.


Well, you guessed it. we had company. The missionaries from church arrived one evening. I knew right away, I loved one of the missionaries, as he was interested in everything and curious much like my own children. He wanted to know how the treadle worked, and what I was doing, and how I was doing it. He was from Utah, and the other Elder was from Idaho.



As he was closely examining the diamond blocks, he discovered that one of the blocks had the listing of his parents phone number on the back of the block. How incredible is that?! I had 80 blocks and he found near the top the one block with his parents name and number... in Indiana... at my house... in my messy living room...



How could we doubt that God knows each of us and is mindful of each of us and that we are all connected as part of His family. all of us...every single one of us...any color...any place....
I am so grateful.

I am linking to
 SewCan She

rsc17 super saturday

9 comments:

  1. The world is amazingly small sometimes. We are all connected in so many strange and wonderful ways. Love how the strings are coming along. Even though they make a mess, they use up so many wonderful bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is a fun story! I love when those things happen! (Like your string blocks, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Incredible how things like that happen. Because I love string block quilts, I sew on phone book pages, too. Helps to keep my blocks flat and the I get the old phone books at a good price. FREE! Love your blocks, dear. I look forward seeing them come together into a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maggie,
    Your post today just gave me the chills. How incredibly wonderful. I love this - we are all His family and this is a wonderful reminder. Thank you for sharing that with us today. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a blessing, to know that God has his hand on all the smallest details of our lives and loves to give us gifts like that one. The story will go on and be a testimony of His caring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! Your elder must have been very surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a neat story! Love the string blocks - they are so fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is amazing! How wonderful that he was inspired to start reading the backs.

    And your neutral blocks also look great!

    ReplyDelete