Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Wild and Goosey finish

I have a finish. And this is my One monthly goal for May and my UFO 2017. So far I have 5 for 5. I wasn't sure I would be able to completely finish this  in one month. But I did! After I pushed past the secondary block, I was just so excited with each step. The wind made pictures a challenge.  I think I am naming it Cross Geese but it is using the wild and goosey pattern from Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville


It finished 75 x 95. I used 48 goosey blocks  or 172 copies of the actual pattern. When I started, well first I said I would never make this one, I don't like paper piecing, but then I had a friend who was making it, and they were so cute...... So when I started, I knew I would never just sit and sew the geese straight through, I decided to aim for one a day. It became a habit to sit down to sew and grab one, and sew, and then move on to whatever project I was planning for the day.. I began to look foward to making them.
There was a crisis moment to the plan, when Bonnie's book addicted to scraps was available. I had started with these from Quiltmaker magazine with an idea of how I wanted to finish it. When the book came, I wondered if I would ever be happy if I didn't do it as awesome as Bonnie's. I decided I was dedicated to the one in my head. Bonnie's quilt would require a bazillion more goosey blocks.


I haven't unloaded my bits and pieces box that I kept by my sewing machine. It is had become such a part of my sewing life that I might actually miss it. There is this inspirational picture..........

I also learned that many small acts can make a big impact. I attached my scripture reading to the same process, If I could make this quilt one block a day, I could read a chapter in my scriptures every day which was more important anyway. And since the older I get, the more I am tired, I need to be satisfied with little bites of energy and time and make the most of it.

I am linking to:
Fiber Tuesday
Free Motion by the River
and one monthly goal
too cute tuesday



17 comments:

  1. It is a gorgeous finish. I love paper piecing and we never run out of scraps. Congrats on a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt! From the fabrics to the quilting! Geese are among my favorite blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This quilt is gorgeous! Your design is perfect! I love how you used these blocks! Congrats on a wonderful finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt is beautiful, I love the border you came up with. You can be proud of this finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is amazing - congratulations on a wonderful finish. As you discovered, every little bit helps, and your "one block a day" soon added up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this quilt, it's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is stunning! I am not a big fan of paper piecing either; so I can totally relate and think you should be very proud of yourself for actually getting it done! I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a wonderful job! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks fantastic! Love how you set it, and the border is perfect for it - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is awesome! I have found a few quilts where I needed to break it down to finishing just one part a day. My husband always chuckles and calls it "eating the elephant". Whenever the kids or I are feeling overwhelmed with a task he'll ask, "How do you eat an elephant?" and we always answer, "One bite at a time." It's his way of reminding us to not look at the project/issue as a whole, but by breaking it down in pieces it because manageable. And you did that admirably here! Well done! Thank you for linking up with To-Do Tuesday this week. I'm thrilled I was able to see your finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful setting for all your flying geese! Congrats on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a work of art, awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your setting for the Wild & Goosey blocks! It makes a calmer quilt. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully done! It's a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE that you attached your scripture reading to making a block a day. What great idea. You have inspired me in more than one way today. Congrats on your beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete