Monday, April 8, 2024

scrappy twirl blocks

In 2018 I was determined to use my scrap crazy templates or get rid of them. I saw a picture of a quilt that was different than the usual way of using the templates, that I decided to try. I sewed a print strip and a background strip together and used one of the templates to make 60 degree triangles. It has been waiting in the UFO closet since then. When I opened the box, there were 50 sets of 6  triangles pinned together. They are not very big and I wasn't sure how I would proceed. I decided I would sew them in halves and join them.


I only made a few and now, I need to decide what to do next. It looks like I may need to do 'y' seams ..ugh. This is part of my ufo challenge this year.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting star blocks. You could avoid the y seams by adding triangles to four of the sides -- make them squares... but who knows how that would look! Keep at it these will be a very nice quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome! And how ironic because I just sewed a couple of the strip sets and cut the triangles to make these too. If you leave them as "half hexies", then no Y seams are required as you can sew them as rows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting blocks. I've never had to work with Y seams. I'll be interested in knowing how make out with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you laid the rows out before you sew the halves together you could avoid Y seams by sewing them in rows first. Then joining the rows. You will need to add setting triangles at each end unless you plan on having a jagged edge and bias binding. That is the way I have seen a couple of hexagon quilts made and they go together fairly quickly. Quicker than Y seams anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these! I personally would not do Y seams! Just continue sewing the halves. Whatever you decide, have fun with them! Thanks for sharing with Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very fun blocks! Those would make a very fun scrappy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely blocks! I agree with you on the y-seams though ugh. But since they are mostly in halves, you could arrange the rows and sew the halves together instead of sewing the blocks. That would avoid the y-seams. The blocks are so pretty! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/04/07/wednesday-wait-loss-375

    ReplyDelete