Wednesday, November 29, 2023

hourglass QAL

Judy at small quilts and doll quilts was showing a vintage hourglass quilt made with 2 1/2 inch hourglasses that inspired her to make one, too. I remembered I have hourglasses tucked away in the ufo closet. I wasn't sure just what I had, but, I do remember there was some swapping involved.

My original inspiration was found in a book sew scrappy volume 2, and, I started making blocks. I invited 2 others to swap. The other swappers wanted to make a 4 1/2 inch unfinished size. That is why I have 2 sizes. We used mostly scrappy fabrics. It was added to the ufo closet in 2018

Recalculating for my 3 1/2 inch size, I would need 672 - I have 250 - I will definitely need to make more.

or I could make it 15 x 18 and I would need 270. and it would be a small donation quilt.

I don't want to add to the larger size. I have 132- 4 1/2 inch. I could make 11 across and 12 rows = 132 would be 44 x 45 quilt for donation before borders. That could work for me.

Looking at my picture and Judy's picture, I wish I had used reproduction fabrics. That would motivate me to start a new one. Sometimes, when I want to make a quilt, I have to figure out, what about it, is the reason. Is it the color, the block, the challenge, or the availability of fabric ( use up scraps)

The question is how could I join the qal and stick it in with my plans. I have more deciding to do.





2 comments:

  1. Those hourglass blocks will make a very fun scrappy quilt. Hopefully you can come up with a workable plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! So simple and yet so beautiful. Can't wait to see how yours turns out. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/11/29/wednesday-wait-loss-356

    ReplyDelete