Monday, January 2, 2017

Catching Color



Judy, from patchwork times, has drawn the number 3 for our UFO challenge. My number 3 is my tumbler quilt from 2015 leader/ender challenge at Quiltville. The top is pieced and I am adding a row of yellow tumblers to the top and bottom and then a yellow matching border all around.




Seems simple enough to finish, just borders and quilting.


But, with company over the holidays and the washing of some quilts, that had not been previously washed, there was color bleeding. So far, 4 of them.sigh....  I am not happy. I hate putting all that work into them, to have them bleed and be ruined. The last one was from the backing.  So this scrappy tumbler is taking a bath, before I do any more work to it. A long time ago, I found this tutorial for making my own color catchers. I made them, cutting an old raggy towel into squares. I used them once, and I wasn't convinced it had helped. My husband actually used them when felting wool, and He loved them. So, now, I am thinking of trying them again. I am definitely adding several to my tumbler quilt when I give it a bath. If it doesn't bleed, I will proceed as planned and finish the quilt. If it does bleed, I may have to rethink this quilting thing, chuck all my fabric, and take up skydiving instead.
I soaked 8 raggy cloths in a solution of 2 T sodium bicarbonate or soda ash and 2 cups of warm water. I hung them to dry. The idea is that they are reuseable, I'm not sure I believe that.

I am thinking of joining the Rainbow Scrap challenge this year at SO scrappy. The January color is Purple. My goal for that challenge may be to wash all my purples and prepare them instead of actually making blocks.

I am linking to:
Making Monday
Moving it Forward Monday 
Main Crush Monday

14 comments:

  1. Bleeding fabric is sooooo frustrating! I've got a quilt on the bed right now that the red border ran. I'm using it anyway. It had been one of my favorites but now the white squares are pink and the pale blue fabric is spotchy lavender. I'll work on it next summer when I can soak it in a BIG tub outside. I hope you don't have to toss the tumbler quilt, that is a lot of work down the drain but then if it bleeds after quilting, that is even more work down the drain! Blessings, villacrestfarm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please read this post on Vicki Welsh's blog. I use her process when dying fabrics or purchasing batiks. This takes a few days to complete, but I've always had good results. Good luck! http://www.colorwaysbyvicki.com/save-my-bleeding-quilt.html

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. How big is your tumbler quilt? IT's so nice and scrappy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always use the color catchers you buy and have never had a quilt bleed. I hope my luck with them continues. I just washed a Dr. Seuss quilt with all the bright colors and no running. If those don't work, maybe try the ones you buy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I feel your pain! I have an applique project that is languishing now for over a year and a half because I realized that one of the red batiks is a runner. I think I'm eventually going to just finish it anyway and try some really daring new machine quilting design, not having to fear ruining a quilt that will be destroyed with its first washing anyway... But please, don't throw away all your fabric and take up sky diving! Even if you jumped out of a thousand airplanes, you still wouldn't have a single quilt to show for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I could take up sky diving so I will stick with quilting!

    Here's hoping the fabrics don't bleed because the tumblers are wonderful.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. How disappointing! I always prewash all my fabric but things can still bleed, especially reds. Hope you get your UFO done anyway, and that further washing will knock out any bleeding from previous quilts. Skydiving is pretty expensive :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with scrap challenge. I'm trying again this year ... I've never made it past a few colors in the past. Let's hope we are both successful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry your quilts bled. That is frustrating. Hope you are able to proceed with the tumbler quilt. It really is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry your quilts bled. So frustrating. I hope you figure out your tumbler quilt. It really is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leaders and enders is such a great idea. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal. Please do add the link to the linkup to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've noticed I actually had some bleeding thread :( I am going to have to try a color catcher myself next time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! I'm so sorry about your bleeding fabric! I do use commercial color catchers with success. Good luck to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've had that problem with quilts that have red in them. I've learned to use a lot of color catchers the first time I wash anything. Good luck with the Tumbler quilt, it's too nice to have to scrap it.

    ReplyDelete