Sunday, January 1, 2017

Clean slate


I think this is my final finish for 2016.  I started this in the 90s. I finished hand quilting it in 2016. It was originally meant to be much bigger, but it was hurting my hands. Finished is better than perfect. right? Does anyone remember lap quilting with Georgia Bonesteel? That is how I did this. Now they call it Quilt as you go, but it was a new concept to us in the 90s. Also from the 90s, was the first rotary cutter, and the easy angle ruler with Sharon Hultgren, and double batting. blast from the past. At the time I was mass producing country jumpers and selling them on the road. The fabric was the first 5 bolts of fabric I bought wholesale, and I still love them.


At patchwork Times, quilters are starting stash reports at zero for the new year. That is good with me. I started counting last year in the fall, and was surprised by the actual numbers. I knew I was buying too much fabric but 570 1/2 yards is a mighty big number, especially if I only used 63 3/4 yards .If an average quilt takes 10 - 15 yards, I have enough for 57 quilts. If I can make 12 per year, it will take me nearly 5 years to use it all.... right... I hope I have learned something. I hope I see that I don't need to acquire, and can now focus on using what I already have and know I love. Remembering that when I find the next deal of the century, or gorgeous new quilt, will be the challenge.


Stash report

Fabric Used this Week: 0 yards
Fabric Used year to Date: 0 yards
Fabric Added this Week: 0 yards
Fabric Added Year to Date: 0 yards
Net Fabric for 2017: 0 yards used

I am linking to:
Patchwork Times
Slow Sunday Stitching
Sunday Stash

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful finish...congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make a set of search cards of fabric you have and love. Then base your purchases on fabrics that go with them. That way you will enhance your stash while using what you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your quilt. It's a step back to my beginnings as a quilter and I loved the nostalgic journey. Is it hand quilted too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck in your use of stash this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, those stash numbers can add up fast! I wish it was as easy to use the fabric as it is to buy it. Good luck with your goals this year. Your finished quilt is so soft looking, love those colors. Congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For my post I just report the final YTD for 2016 - the rest is all zeros, too. Love your finish. One of my goals for this year is to finish my 30 year old quilt I started way back then. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finished is WAY more important than perfect!
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete