Monday, January 30, 2017

Lockerbie street


I had a fun, busy weekend. I traveled to Indianapolis to see the James Whitcomb Riley Museum on Lockerbie street. I have such a sentimental place in my heart for this Indiana poet. My Grandfather had many of his poems memorized, and would entertain me reciting the best ones to me as a child, Lil Orphan Annie, the raggedy Man, The Bar. Still, the fondest memory is of the poem "An Old Sweetheart of Mine" Granddad would say this to my Grandmother, and they would look like young lovers for a moment even after 60 + years of marriage. I had it memorized by the time I was a teenager, but can only quote parts of it now.



Everything in the museum, is preserved and original. It was an incredible home in it's time and even more amazing now. They would not allow pictures, which I can respect, except for an amazing quilt in one of the bedrooms. It was made in 1890 and gifted to the housekeeper. Made with red and white squares finishing at 1 1/2 inches and the white squares had redwork embroidery in each tiny square. And in the center was a label with the date. This is an incredible piece of history and I asked if a picture of it could be purchased - no. I asked if it had been documented in any quilt book or organization - again no. I sure wish I had bucked the system to get a picture of this quilted treasure.sigh...

My son took me to dinner at Olive Garden, and gave me flowers. He said he tried to get the ones with the most yellow since that was my favorite. Aw shucks, he remembered. My oldest son with my oldest Grandchildren turned up in church Sunday morning as a surprise all the way from Martinsville.

My Grandchildren loved the polar bears for hot chocolate and other stuff, and I loved having them to hug on and enjoy. so cute

All I have sewn all weekend was a few red and neutral hourglasses for Pfefferneuse

I am linking to:
Making Monday
Moving it Forward Monday 
Main Crush Monday

4 comments:

  1. I live in Indy, but haven't been to the house/museum - will have to put it on my list to do on a quiet Saturday. And I'll keep my eye out for the quilt when I go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday! Looks like your family gave you a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday and we just had a lady in January to our Quilt Guild who had all of these quilts done for his poems. I'm in Columbus IN and one of these days we'll take a road trip to see what you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful time, and time spent with family is always precious. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete