Monday, March 25, 2019

cactus patch

Cactus patch was the first quilt I wanted to make in Bonnie Hunter's first book scraps and shirttails. I really liked the half blocks and how the half square triangles are a little wonky. The centers for each block are crumb blocks, and the colors were bright.
I already had a growing pile of crumb blocks, and, was excited for the idea on how to use them. I worked on it, off and on, for awhile, and then, it disappeared into the ufo void. The ufo void must be a fascinating place.


I have wanted to finish it many times, and there was something else more pressing, or it would get lost. I found it this time when I found a bundle of fabric I didn't remember. I had bundled potential backing pieces with it, and it had gotten folded with the pieces on the outside and the top wrapped on the inside. goofy.
This was the month I decided to make it a one monthly goal. As soon as I make the binding, it is ready for the longarm. I still have a few days to get this finished.


The cornerstones were also a crumb block.


There were 3 borders.


Bonnie says it was inspired by this antique quilt from the early 1900s. The bold colors are definitely hers.


I haven't seen very many of these out in the quilter universe. I don't know why. I think it is a great stash buster and has a great impact. I like working with shirts, they have such a nice feel to the fabric.


I am linking to:



6 comments:

  1. I can never find old men's shirts around here that are cotton and the right stuff - everything always seems to be a mixed blend and not the right soft old white plaids that she seems to find

    ReplyDelete
  2. That UFO Void - seriously, must hold something fascinating. :D Last year I found one from who-knows-how-long-ago that I had *zero* memory of working on, but I know it was my own. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. These little glimpses of your cactus patch are beautiful. I can’t wait to see the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to finish this UFO. It looks great and exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your cactus patch. Will be a nice finish

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been doing such a great job of finding and finishing off those UFOs. Good luck finishing off your OMG.

    ReplyDelete