Tuesday, March 20, 2018

spring- christmas fabric

It's the first day of Spring and I am thinking ....Christmas fabric. I want to know if you have a stash of Christmas fabric. I thought I had 1 tub and maybe a few bits and pieces scattered abroad, but so far, I have found 2 more good sized tubs and more than enough piles. And every time, I clean something else, I find a new pile. ( better quilt cleaning LOL)


I know many of my Christmas fabrics come from goodwill, but it is also hard to resist the after Christmas sales, sometimes, even, 90% off. My memory fails me, And I don't remember that I already have a lot at home.  It seems to be the first fabrics people downsize to thrift stores. There has to be a way to mainstream it into the stash. It deserves to be useful. That is the old part of me talking.
I thought I would be dealing with red and green Christmas colors, but, oh no, there are blues



and blacks ( my favorite)

and turquoise

and even pinks

And I still love the 90s country colors.



Remember daisy kingdom?



I have vintage



 and quirky


I have been trying to sort it by picking up a piece, deciding it's fate, and cutting. I have 5 quilts I am cutting as I go. After I cut for that, I am cutting the remainder, if I don't want it, into 10 inch strips and 2 1/2 inch strips. If I still want it, I am measuring, marking, and folding it into a tub. I will probably be at this until Christmas.... of 20.....

So, really, how much do you have? tell me, and do you want to quilt along with me something for Christmas?

I am linking to:
Free Motion by the River
to do tuesday
too cute tuesday

9 comments:

  1. I also have a tub of Christmas fabrics, but it's a 'small' tub. A lot of my fabric is from my mother's stash. I should really do something with it but I don't like to make specific quilts but seasonal ones. Not a Christmas quilt but a winter quilt. Maybe it's time to pass those fabrics along so someone like you can purchase them at the resale shop. I look forward to seeing what your 5 quilts looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maggie,
    I am embarrassed to say that I don't have any Christmas fabrics. None. I've never made a Christmas quilt other than the QAL I Wish You A Merry. I bought a FQ for that and used most of it, so I guess I have a few scraps. I want to change that this year - I don't know why I've never made anything before. I love Christmas, but I guess I've always made winter/snowmen stuff. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a file box full of Christmas fabrics. Also filled with started projects like last year's mug rugs. And I do have at least one kit to make. Oh yes, and some precuts. I need to make 3 tree skirts for upcoming weddings in the next year or two

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a small collection of Christmas fabrics. One small tub, half of another small tub, and three qt. size ziploc baggies of tiny ornament idea kits. I've made quite a number(maybe 10 or so) of tablecloths and quilts, and enjoy working Christmas fabric. I have a Debbie Mumm panel that features your red-gowned Santa with the b/w checkered border at the hem.
    I prefer to buy fabric I really like, so I will use it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Christmas fabrics here. But, I haven't been quilting that long. When I do sew for Christmas I just stay with the color way, not holiday prints. I guess my confession would be that I have a kit for a Christmas tree skirt that's been in stash for about 8 years? lol! After having our fourth snow storm this month....I'm soooooo ready for Spring colors....so, if you decide on a Christmas stitch along... I'll just read about it....lol! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Can I identify with this. Last summer I noticed my big Christmas fabric collection and decided to move it out by making a large Christmas quilt for each of my 8 grandchildren. All these months later, 2 are done, 2 are at the long arm quilter’s. And I’m still going.

    I was also astonished at the amount of blue Christmas fabrics I have!

    Donnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh. I had some of that blue/green/red mosaic print. Cut small enough, you don't even know it's a Christmas fabric (I have a few like that). I just bought some Christmas fabric - was so pretty and such a great price. I have no idea what I'll do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have lots too! But if you find a panel called Beary Christmas of a house with rooms that Little Bear searches for Christmas through... I would love to buy it from you. My kids are fighting over the one I made eons ago....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hardly have any Christmas fabrics. I was surprised about that when I went to look for some this past December. I need to go shopping!!

    ReplyDelete