Monday, September 10, 2018

orca bay strings

I worked on my red string blocks for Orca bay quiltville mystery quilt. Jo of Jo's country junction is trying to finish all the quilts in quiltville's string fling book before the new book is published. I am trying to finish all the mystery quilts as part of that challenge before the new mystery in November.

I had a nice pile of red strings, but I used up most of them rather early in the process, so I took some bigger scraps and cut strips with my rotary cutter.




Then, I just grabbed something and tried to make it work. If it wasn't long enough to go across the diagonal. I would piece somaller pieces together lengthwise. These 2 pieces went together.


I had a pile of triangle pieces I would use for the corners. But, sometimes I just had to use bigger chunks in the corners


I had a pile of strings that were not long enough that I would use as I got closer to the corner.


I tried to vary the width of each strip in the block


And sometimes I had to combine pieces to get a piece big enough


I tried to have light and dark in the same block  and funny monsters are always fun

If I had fabric I didn't like I tried to sneak it in between something nice.


I used a rotating mat and trimmed the first two sides and then measured for second two sides. It wasn't always at the edge of the papers. I sat one evening and de- papered the backs.


And then I was all done. hooray

I am in the process of quilting roll roll cotton boll. Time is getting closer for the new mystery quilt from quiltville. but I am losing steam. My eyes are wandering to other projects. Jo started this nearly a year ago. A baby only takes 9 months. My challenge finishes here





boms away 
Oh scrap

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness... I only have 3 unfinished Bonnie' quilts -- one is up for quilting as soon as I get a backing. The other two need borders or maybe not. I haven't done her mystery for several years. I may try it again this year. It looks like you've done a good job of getting the red strings done. I like the look of string piecing but eh -- don't like to do it all that much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making great progress on your string blocks. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing all your fabrics. Strings are a category I have not saved, though I sure have plenty of scraps. Good luck reaching your goal. I love Bonnie's designs but they sure do have a lot of small pieces, so I have not done a mystery. I'm just finishing up a version of Narragansett Blues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lot of progress and it sounds like you used up a lot of scraps. I'm trying to get On Ringo Lake into finished flimsy form before the next mystery starts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started On Ringo Lake but am afraid it will end up being On Ringo Puddle. I'll get some of the blocks done but certainly not a big quilt. Waiting for Bonnie's new book. Are you? Keep plugging along with these two -- don't quit looking at the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is impressive! You make me remember that I have two quilt tops--actually, On Ringo Lake is almost pieced--waiting. I love Bonnie's mysteries. Keep at it, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your participation this week at the Show and Tell Monday !! Bambi

    ReplyDelete