Friday, December 11, 2020

star gazing finish

Star gazing is a Bonnie Hunter pattern in her book scraps and shirt tails. This is finish number 27 for the year for me. Many of the scraps for this quilt are upcycled shirts. I cut it out in 2014. It has been a top since 2017 after a back and forth visit to the ufo closet. It's a big quilt 82 x 82 and used 22 yards of fabric. I made mine one row bigger across.



 I think what happened was, I started this quilt as a the free pattern on Bonnie's site, and, I made the number of blocks for that one which doesn't have sashings. Then her book came out, and, the same pattern had sashings, and, I couldn't decide if I wanted sashings. So, I put it aside.
I decided I would do the sashings and get it off the UFO list. 
 


I did a free form pattern on the longarm. I used a sheet from the thrift store for the back, and black binding. I used a machine to attach the binding.


This quilt waited a long time for it's turn to be in the spotlight as a finished quilt. This will part of my phd 20 ufo project

17 comments:

  1. I like the sashing better, the sashing frames the blocks. 27 finished quilts this year, you're making so much progress! Looks like we'll staying home the first part of 2021, it will be interesting how many more quilts you finish. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great finish! Definitely worthy of getting out of the UFO category. I love all the different fabrics in there. 22 yards!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAt!!!is stunning! what a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty quilt with a whole lot of scrappy goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE that pattern and your quilt turned out beautifully, maggie!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So eye-catching, Maggie! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so beautiful, Maggie! What a massive undertaking. It seems to me that you let this one "marinate" in the UFO closet for exactly as long as it needed. I love heavily pieced scrappy quilts but they can be tricky to pull off with so many pieces in all different colors and fabrics. You really nailed this one; it smolders and twinkles and is just really successful in so many ways. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is absolutely gorgeous! The sashings are a great addition! Wowza!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    Beautiful quilt! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Maggie, congratulations on your finish. I think that the sashing add a lot to it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on a fun and scrappy finish! Sometimes you just have to let them marinate a bit before you know the direction you want to go with a project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You finished 27 quilts this year? Congratulations! I love this one, it's just perfectly scrappy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a beautiful one! Congratulations on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your scrappy color choices. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete