Saturday, December 26, 2020

phd 2021

I have had a hard time this year setting goals for next year. Maybe, because it has been an uncertain year. And yet, I finished the most ufo projects I have ever done in a single year. Now, that I think of it, I might be tired of finishing, but, I have many more to finish. I am not sure how to find the balance between finishing to accomplish, and starting new to enjoy. The more I stick to a list, the less I quilt.

Still, I've made my list for next year and the PHD 21.

1. Double wedding ring. This keeps showing up on my list of goals. It still intimidates me. I want to do the traditional scallop border....


2.frolic mystery quilt. This was last year's quiltville mystery and I had it done pretty quickly, but, I wanted to finish older ufos, and this was sidelined.

3. end of the rainbow. I think the white space makes me nervous to quilt. This was a rsc project for 2019. I really like it and hope to finish it this year.

And, with all the quilts I finished this year, I didn't finish any rainbow scrap challenge quilts. I finished the tops of 5 or 6, but, didn't get them quilted. And there are none on my 12 PHD2021 list. So, I need to fix that.

Oh wait.. I finished birch trees from 2018 rsc

and woven checkerboard from 2019

I think that is why I am trying to not start any new rsc projects this year, but, only finish them. I have a few to carry over. But, Angela has hinted there might be a group project.....I would HAVE to do that.





16 comments:

  1. What I like to do is finish an UFQ then I can work on a new project. Than back to an UFQ. I have several RSC projects but I don't expect fo finish them in a year but make sure I work on them each month. I would go ahead and quilt Frolic, that will be such a fulfilling finish, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There will be a group project! It won't be too challenging. Others have also hinted at challenges... The balancing act between starting and finishing is a difficult one, but this is supposed to be a fun hobby, so whatever brings you joy is the right answer in my opinion. Love those Birch Trees, and the white space in End of the Rainbow is going to look fabulous with quilting. Lots of beautiful progress this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All finishes and no new starts drags my sewing joy down. So, on Jan 1st I give myself permission to begin something new. After that, one new start for every two finishes is a good guide, although squirrels happen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a challenge I struggle with too--the preference for starting new projects over finishing old ones. I do pretty well on making quilt tops, but have a very hard time getting them quilted and finished. That's one of my big goals for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great RSC quilts! keep plugging along... you'll get to them! i know what you mean re: finising quilts, rather than starting new ones!haha. i have the same problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is hard to find a balance between finishing and starting - I struggle with that, too. Sometimes we just feel like piecing blocks! You've had some beautiful finishes this year, Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find that sometimes lists block that creative energy and urge. I think 2021 should be a 'if you feel like sewing something sew it to make you happy'! Your tops and quilts are beautiful. I especially love the birch trees and the end of the rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely quilts, your 2019 RSC is a beauty! Good luck with your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulation on such a productive year, Maggie! My Swirls (design board) would look great quilted on your End of the Rainbow quilt. Best of luck on figuring out a plan for 2021 and I'll look forward to your Table Scraps Challenge entries!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have some wonderful finishes shown here. Like most of us, I'll happily start new projects, and often drag my feet to get them finished. But that's OK, it's how alot of us seem to work.And when you need something quick for a gift, there is usually a quilt top waiting in the pile to be finished.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking forward to what ever you do in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm amazed at all the quilts you finish, and inspired by all the blocks you post! You have such a way with scraps. I can't wait to see what comes next. Good luck with the lists--my lists always seem to vanish, just like my new year's resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have some super lovely projects for this list. I can completely relate to the way sticking to a list squelches your mojo. I am the exact same way. Let me know if you find a magic balance point! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for joining PHD in 2021!!! Hopefully, throughout the year, you can find the balance between finishing and starting!!! The quilts you have shown us are all beautiful and I KNOW you will be very happy when they are done, Done, DONE!!!
    Enjoy the quilting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,
    I'm with you, having a list doesn't really do a thing for me. I tend to work on what I like instead of what needs finished...so hoping I can stick to this list I've made. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great quilts. I especially like your End of the Rainbow. I joined the RSC for the first time this year, so am creating one new/ongoing project while trying to tackle my list.

    ReplyDelete