Friday, July 10, 2020

unity clue 4

It started out pleasant enough, clue 4 for unity mystery quilt, required a lot of cutting. I like to cut.


The quilt needed a lot of HSTs. I like chain piecing.


But, this is when it gets dicey. Apparently, everything needed trimmed. I don't like trimming, so, I didn't. I started making the blocks, nine patch style, and they looked fine, until, I trimmed the whole blocks. I started making the rows, and, I was losing 60 % of the points. Drat. I couldn't live with that. I decided to take all the blocks apart. I realized that the problem had to be back at the HSTs. So, I even took those apart. I pressed and saved 80 % of the pieces, and sewed them back together again.


Why did it take 3 weeks to make it the first time, and only 3 days to make it again? But, it is finished. While I was putting the last row on, I was sure it would be a wall hanging. But, after laying it out, it looks really nice, and, I want to do more.


So I will look at clue 5.

I'm linking to:

13 comments:

  1. It looks fabulous but that sounds like more trouble than I would have gone to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a horror show when you have to rip and replace parts of blocks, but in this case it was worth it I'm sure. The top is wonderful. I can understand why you want to make it larger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the patience of a saint to take this one apart and do it again. I didnt have the patience to do it the first time. But I did follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful color choices... and good for you for making it the way you want.... and the patience you have!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is gorgeous. It is worth ripping out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did so much ripping I put it into time-out after step 3. Maybe someday I will be inspired.... Yours is looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not many people would have undone and redone as you did, and you did a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much work getting it to the point where you were happy with it! It looks pretty great to me.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! it is worthy of continuing. Just gorgeous colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's persistance! It definitely paid off, your version is beautiful. I'm still just on step 3. Even little flying geese take a lot of time to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a hard decision to make, but sounds you're glad you did it! Your Unity really is beautiful. What comes next on it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt is gorgeous, Maggie! The best thing about sewing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, or even the third time -- you only have to get it right the LAST time! I'm with you, feeling your seam ripper pain, but it is totally worth it to get those beautiful triangle points!

    ReplyDelete